PDA

View Full Version : Work in progress

John Spitters
10-08-2011, 5:58 PM
This hollowform just came off the lathe yesterday, As you can see I've applied a yellow dye which really made the spalting "pop"
Form is 8"w x 4 3/4"h Main body is Horse Chestnut and the upper part is B.L. Maple.
This first coats of finish were just applied today since the dye was applied last night.
In the works is a finial lid for the piece once fully finished I'll post some more pics.

Harry Robinette
10-08-2011, 6:58 PM
John
I like it but I don't, I like the shape and I like the color but I'm not sure I like the two woods together. They sort of look OK but something just don't look right.
I just can't figure it out. Hope you get better feed back then this.

Donny Lawson
10-08-2011, 7:02 PM
I love the way the spalting pops out at you. Looks great.

John Keeton
10-08-2011, 8:08 PM
John, that chestnut is striking!! Really great color, too. I tend to agree with Harry on the two woods - might do better if the contrast was more distinct. Perhaps Blackwood to pick up on the spalt lines - or some other wood dyed black.

Baxter Smith
10-08-2011, 9:00 PM
Love the horse chestnut! I know of a couple big ones that will be taken down in a couple of years. This one makes the wait even tougher!;):)

Bernie Weishapl
10-08-2011, 9:30 PM
Really nice spalted piece. I think a dark contrasting wood would have really set it off but it looks nice as is.

David DeCristoforo
10-08-2011, 9:48 PM
Well... against the grain again. I like the two woods together, The spalting in each of them ties the together nicely and the accent line sets them apart. Together they create some tension that keeps this from being just another nice shape.