PDA

View Full Version : In need of Lathe Advice

Glen Blanchard
10-08-2011, 1:05 PM
First, let me confess that I know nothing about turning. However, I'd like to be able to create accent pieces, legs, handles, etc etc for the boxes I make. I'd also like to be able to make pens and items of similar size. So here are my questions....

What will a midi lathe be able to do that a mini will not. I presume it is merely a matter of size. For my use, which should I consider?
My gut tells me that I will want variable speed, or is this an unneeded option? Are there some that do not require a belt change (I hate messing with the belts on my drill press)?
How are the Jets and Deltas? Turncrafter from Penn State? Any brands to avoid? Any I should look at closely?
Any pros or cons on this one?............

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLC10VS.html

Any other considerations?

Thanks for the advice!

Marty Eargle
10-08-2011, 1:57 PM
I can't say much on what you asked, but I will say this...there is a great chance that if you get a mini sized lathe, you will eventually desire to turn something a little bigger like a bowl or a vessel. Turning is highly addictive, and my suggestion to people looking to start turning has always been to get the biggest (while considering quality) lathe you can for the amount you want to spend.

If you really think a mini lathe will be good enough for what you'll need, both Jet and Delta are great brands. I've never heard of anyone using a Turncrafter so I can speak on it.

Good luck...be prepared for this to turn into a very addicting, expensive hobby.

phil harold
10-08-2011, 2:06 PM
I have been looking for a small lathe too and i would buy the 12" over the 10"
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLC12VS.html

more money, yes but you can turn bigger things which delays you from buying a big lathe

I want my late for the kids to turn on and be portable

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLC12VS.html

Bernie Weishapl
10-08-2011, 3:27 PM
I would definitely look at the Jet 1220 VS or the Delta 46-460 VS. I have the Jet and don't get me wrong it is a great lathe but if the Delta had been out I would have bought it instead because of the bigger 1 hp motor and reverse for sanding. I would agree with going with the 12" lathe rather than the 10".

John Keeton
10-08-2011, 3:30 PM
Delta 46-460, hands down! Absolutely a super lathe, and it will do anything in its 12" capacity.

Rich Aldrich
10-08-2011, 6:11 PM
John and Bernie give good advice for the small lathe. I went the route that Marty suggested. I hadnt turned anything and bought a Jet 1642. I figured the way I am hooked on woodworking, what is the chance that I wouldnt like woodworking. I figured I should get as large of a lathe that I could afford so I would have it for a while. So, I sold my trap gun because I gave up shooting for the off chance that I can make woodworking at least a self supporting hobby while the kids are in school. That generated enough money to buy the lathe.

If I ever decide to buy something bigger and better, I will probably still keep the Jet.

Karl Card
10-08-2011, 6:45 PM
Personally I would go for a lathe with variable speed. Is it really needed NO...is it nice, YES.. makes sanding really neat when you can just turn downthe speed instead of having to change belt position. I have a jet 1014 and love but I use that one with a dedicated copier, I then bought a rikon 70-100 and it is a 12 x 16 I believe and I really like it. But if I had the money I would have gotten a bigger lathe just because now I am wanting to turn bigger bowls and yes a 11 inch bowl is nice but sooner than later you will get the urge. If you are unsure I would search for a used jet, rikon etc mini lathe, if you buy it right you can always sell it later for what you have in it. Then if you decide you are in it for good then go bigger. At the same time you may well find that one lathe is nice but two is really nice. I actually have 3 lathes but one is my first lathe from HF and I dont really consider it a lathe. Needless to say it is fixing to become a buffing station for my pens and the such.

Joe Watson
10-08-2011, 7:09 PM
My experience...
Im new to woodworking lathes, been around CNC metal lathes for 10+ years.

When i bought my woodworking lathe (RIKON Mini 70-100) about 6-12 months ago it was for the long term of turning solid table lags. When looking around one of the first things i decided was a 12" swing over the bed was a "must" then the next thing was how long. There are a few mini lathes (forget the brands) that you can buy 'bed extension' to make them longer. The RIKON has 16" between centers (longest piece of stock you can put in it) then i bought a 24" bed extension, so now it can turn something that is 40" long. Another thing was the slowest speed. I did not have any real intent on turning lop-sided or unbalanced things but i knew i wanted something which i could spin slow if i ever needed to; so the RIKON Mini 70-100 fit my needs.
As of now, i wish i bought the varibule speed model - messing with pullies does suck, and the 1/2HP motor is alittle weak, but thats something i can deal with for now - just make litter cuts. Being able to reverse the spindle would also be nice for sanding, but so far im managing.
Right now i have been looking at the Grizzle G0698 18" X 47" - its out of my price rang right now, but has all the options i would ever need.

As for turning table legs :)
I turned two as soon as i got it, since then its been 6 or 7 bowls/cups (two or three from rough cut logs split in two (lop-sided/unbalanced)) and a few segmented things along with some apples and a rose flower. Right now there is a segmented lamp chucked up - but the next thing will be 8 legs for two night stands i want to make as part of a bedroom set. So like its been said and im sure as others will say - don't limit yourself to what you have on your mind now - once you get turning, more then likely you will be trying different things.

Good luck.

Donny Lawson
10-08-2011, 7:10 PM
Most bowls that sell are 12" or less. There are not to many people want a 15" bowl. So for this reason I would go with a Delta 46-460 all the way. It will serve you well for a very long time.My Delta hasn't let me down at all. Sooner or later you might upgrade to something bigger but it will not be anytime soon. Go for the Midi..........

Glen Blanchard
10-08-2011, 7:38 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. I think I'll get the Delta 46-460. I definitely don't want to outgrow the thing in a month or two, but don't know if I have the interest in a full size lathe. Now that I know which one to get, I have to decide on the 'when'.

Thanks again!