PDA

View Full Version : Aesthetics for Face Frame

tim walker
02-27-2005, 9:24 PM
I am building a wine cabinet that will have two front doors. Therefore I need a face frame. The cabinet is 62" wide and 90 1/2" tall. My idea for the face frame is 3,75" for the rails and 3" for the stiles. The rails will actually be 4.5" because I want them to hang over on either side by 3/4" to meet some cross memebers I will have runnening to the back.

Does this sound aesthetically pleasing.

joseph j shields
02-27-2005, 11:11 PM
Hey Tim,

Thats a big piece... the R&S maybe too thin???

I had the same situation long ago and here's what I did...

I took the picures off a large wall and taped some newspapers on the wall to the size of the cabinet I was building. Then I cut out strips of white paper to the width of the Rail & stiles and taped them along the edges of the newspaper. ( and in the center where the doors would meet)

This allowed me to experiment with different sizes and to see how it would look.

(Note- I tried doing it in a CAD system, but I really don't did a good feel for over all "presence" of the piece... that's why I used the wall & newspaper method)

It only took me about 1 hour to do it.... and I glad I did. My initial sizes were too small for the scale of the piece I built.

This really help me....hope it helps you too!

-jj