PDA

View Full Version : A zigzag armchair

David Dundas
10-08-2011, 2:07 AM
A Creeker who had seen my article in the current issue (November 2011) of Wood Magazine on a zigzag rocker (see also this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?65830-Another-zigzag-rocker&highlight=zigzag+rocker ), asked me whether I had a design for a non-rocking zigzag armchair. I sent him a PDF file of an article I have written on the chair in the attached photos. Unfortunately this atticle is much too big a file to post here, unless Sawmill Creek were to raise its limit of 156 kb on pdf files. Meanwhile, I would be happy to email the article to Creekers who wish to build the chair, if they send me their email address in a private message.

Photo 2 shows the detail of the miter joints, reinforced by three interlocking tenons. Photo 3 shows myself (r) and a friend testing the chair for strength. Probably the joints would be even stronger if they were reinforced by twin triangular splines, as in my zigzag rocker, rather than by the interlocking tenons.

David Dundas

Amanda Brimm
11-09-2011, 10:11 PM
The chair test made my day - I wasn't expecting that from the thumbnail! very cool design