PDA

View Full Version : Jacaranda

Kathy Marshall
10-08-2011, 1:38 AM
Went by the tree trimmers today to pick up a few smaller pieces of acacia that they had left out for me, while I was there I took a peek in one of the dump trailers and saw some wood I hadn't seen before. The endgrain looked fairly plain, but there were a few pieces that had what I would describe as a blue shadow on the endgrain. So I grabbed a couple 7" logs and just as I was getting ready to leave they pulled up in the drive. They said it was Jacaranda.
I seem to remember hearing that Jacaranda was very soft wood and not that good for turning, but thought I would give it a try anyway.
6 1/2" x 1 3/4" with a light coat of BLO and a light coat of sanding sealer (just so I could handle it without bringing the oil to the surface). I think I'll add a few coats of WOP then knock it back with steel wool and go for a soft satin finish.

As for turning, it was like butter :D I wasn't getting shavings or curlies, I was getting foot long streamers! Yes it was soft, but the only tearout was on the endgrain on one side, and even there it was only in 1 of the growth rings and only on the outside, no tearout at all in the inside. I sprayed some shellac on the engrain before my final cut and the little bit of tearout left, sanded out easily with 180 grit. Did I say this stuff sanded up like a dream?
Hard to see in the pics, but it looks like there was a little spalting going on.
I'll be going back in the morning to pick up the rest (there was a big crotch piece too that might prove interesting!)

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

John Keeton
10-08-2011, 8:11 AM
Kathy, you certainly gain access to some interesting woods! This really has a very nice color and grain texture, and good form as usual.

Scott Lux
10-08-2011, 8:17 AM
Kathy, as always, your form is spot on. I really like this one.

Donny Lawson
10-08-2011, 8:31 AM
Kathy,that is an interesting bowl. I have one question, Was that a "Green" turned bowl? If so has it warped or do you do something to keep it from twisting out of shape? I turned a Hackberry piece the other day just to see what would happen and it's twisted,warped, but no cracks. I added a few coats of mineral oil but that did not help.

Bill Walsh
10-08-2011, 8:38 AM
Kathy, nice job on positioning the bowl bank right from the start. after seeing this bowl I'm going to take a look at BOL. It sounds like you apply the BLO first then top coat with a sealer, I'll give it a try.
Thanks for posting..

Tom Winship
10-08-2011, 8:43 AM
Very nice, Kathy.
Your mantra should be "If it is wood, I will turn it."

Michelle Rich
10-08-2011, 9:13 AM
I admit to green-eyed jealousy at the wood you have..very nice bowl

Doug W Swanson
10-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Another great bowl, Kathy! I am jealous that your tree trimmers share with you. I talked to one just down from my house and they weren't willing to share (even small pieces). Plus we have the dreaded Emerald Ash Borer here so we aren't even supposed to move ANY wood across county lines....

Bernie Weishapl
10-08-2011, 10:15 AM
Wow Kathy you sure do get some nice wood. Love the bowl, form and the wood has some nice grain patterns to it.

Jon Prouty
10-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Hi Kathy... I have a lot of Jacaranda roughed t and still in log form. All I have is very white and pretty boring - nothing like the dark grain you have here. I may try some blo to try and bring some life to the party. Happy to see your work with some interesting wood. JP

Kathy Marshall
10-08-2011, 7:58 PM
Thanks everyone! It sure was a nice surprise to find out it turned so well and had some nice grain. Looking at the cut ends of the logs, you'd never guess what was hidden inside.

Kathy,that is an interesting bowl. I have one question, Was that a "Green" turned bowl? If so has it warped or do you do something to keep it from twisting out of shape? I turned a Hackberry piece the other day just to see what would happen and it's twisted,warped, but no cracks. I added a few coats of mineral oil but that did not help.
Thanks Donny! Yes, it is green turned. Nearly everything I turn is turned green to final except the occasional dry piece that I buy for a specific piece/purpose. I treat each piece a little different, depending on the type of wood. The ones that I know will warp alot or crack, I coat with either BLO or DO then put in a plastic ziploc bag. I open the bag each day to check on the piece and also allow a small exchange of air. When there's no more condensation, or I don't feel alot of humidity, then I start leaving the back open a little bit, and just open it a little more whenever it feels right. For wood that might warp a little or not at all, I just coat with BLO or DO and bring it in the house for a couple weeks before applying the final finish. I don't worry about a little warpage, I think it adds character.

Kathy, nice job on positioning the bowl bank right from the start. after seeing this bowl I'm going to take a look at BOL. It sounds like you apply the BLO first then top coat with a sealer, I'll give it a try.
Thanks for posting..
Thanks Bill! I usually wait a couple weeks before adding any sealer or finish coats, but I planned on taking this one to show the tree trimmers and I didn't want the oil coming to the surface while it was being handled. I have applied sealers or finish coats right away before, and it's never been a problem yet, but I like to give the oil a chance to cure 1st if possible.

Very nice, Kathy.
Your mantra should be "If it is wood, I will turn it."
Thanks Tom!

Hi Kathy... I have a lot of Jacaranda roughed t and still in log form. All I have is very white and pretty boring - nothing like the dark grain you have here. I may try some blo to try and bring some life to the party. Happy to see your work with some interesting wood. JP
Thanks Jon!
This wood looked pretty light and boring judging by the end cuts on the logs, and even when the piece was roughed although I could see some potential. It wasn't until the oil was applied that it came to life!

I went and picked up a load of it this morning. Cut and sealed about half the logs then decided I needed a break (my back was about done in) and standing upright at the lathe sounded like a nice break! So I mounted a small section of a 6" log to turn an endgrain hf.
Here I've roughed a shape and turned a tenon. You can see just a tiny bit of tearout in a couple of the growth rings near the bottom, otherwise it cuts beautifully.

And here it is mounted in the chuck, the shape is pretty much what it will be, except for the bottom which will get some refinement after hollowing. The grain and patterns remind me alot of ambrosia maple. Can't wait to see this one with a coat of oil!

Baxter Smith
10-08-2011, 9:07 PM
Beautiful wood Kathy. I am looking forward to this next one!

Bob Bergstrom
10-08-2011, 9:47 PM
You made that well worth the effort. Beautiful looking wood and turned well. Thanks for all you share with us so often.