PDA

View Full Version : Some new bottle toppers

Paul Heely
10-07-2011, 8:33 PM
I'm still turning like crazy trying to get stuff into a couple of local shops and have items for a show next month. Here's the lastest set of bottle toppers. I've figured out I can only turn about 4 of something in a row before I have to go onto something else, learned that from the 24 bird house ornaments I've done so far in the past couple of weeks.

Various woods, mostly from the CSUSA bottle topper assortment pack. Comments and critiques always welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Bernie Weishapl
10-07-2011, 9:39 PM
Those are some really nice stoppers. Nice wood selection.

James Combs
10-07-2011, 9:58 PM
I have done some in the last month but I got to get me some of the metal ones like yours. Mine were just silicone over wood dowels (but the handles were nice lol). That's a good looking bunch Paul. Is your display a home made one or a purchased one? It isn't easy to see so I can't tell. If it is purchased where did you get it?

Paul Heely
10-08-2011, 8:11 AM
I have done some in the last month but I got to get me some of the metal ones like yours. Mine were just silicone over wood dowels (but the handles were nice lol). That's a good looking bunch Paul. Is your display a home made one or a purchased one? It isn't easy to see so I can't tell. If it is purchased where did you get it?

The display is a purchased one. I go the one in the picture from Packard. It's the 7 bottle cone display stand, #153007. I've found that Packard has good selection of display items. I also just ordered a five stopper display stand from CSUSA. I'll put the ones that hold 7 into the local shops where I sell my stuff and use the arched ones in my display for craft shows.

Couple of thoughts on the metal ones. Look for ones that have the rubber rings close to the top. The ones in my picture are down from the top and really add to the height when in a bottle. This is the last of that style that I have. I just ordred the droplet style from CSUSA, same as the ones in the picture below, and they don't add as much to the height. A couple of people have told me that the height is an issue in some refrigerators.

When I first started doing the metal stoppers I tried just threading the wood onto the cone, after drilling a hole of course. Never had much luck with that method. I started tapping the blank with a hand tap and have stuck with that method.

Here's a picture of the CSUSA display.

Donny Lawson
10-08-2011, 8:24 AM
They all look great and they should sell well too. I'm going to a craft show this morning. Not to sell but to look at what others are making. It comes here every year and I have to check it all out.