PDA

View Full Version : "Blue Magnolia"

Dennis Ford
10-07-2011, 8:21 PM
I thought about dye while sanding this piece but did not have any dye or experience with dye, I put a coat of sanding sealer on and left it for the night. The next morning I visited a friend's shop and got some advise on using dye. After thinking about it some more, I decided to try some dye. After sanding the piece with 320 grit (by hand as it was off the lathe and now out of round), I dyed it with yellow RIT clothing dye. I sanded most of that off (left a little at the top) and then dyed it with blue RIT. I sanded that back and sprayed a few coats of lacquer. It came out OK even though I did not know what I was doing. The next time I dye something it will be with Solar Lux and the darker color will go on first. Magnolia, about 8" tall x 8" wide.

Comments and Critiques welcome.

Ed Morgano
10-07-2011, 8:24 PM
Denis,
For not knowing what you were doing, it really turned out great.

Harry Robinette
10-07-2011, 8:41 PM
Dennis
Very nice piece, Are you going to do the inside of the rim with the dye or leave it natural to show the contrast.

Jamie Donaldson
10-07-2011, 8:53 PM
That is an excellent job in spite of doing several thing you should not have done! For projects to be dyed, do not use any sealer, as that doesn't allow the dye to penetrate into the wood. Rit dyes are not lightfast on wood, and acrylic paints or drawing inks are pigments that are lightfast and can be diluted with water or alcohol( I mostly use alcohol as to not raise the grain), and they are readily available and dirt cheap at almost any art supply store.

Bernie Weishapl
10-07-2011, 9:39 PM
Dennis for not knowing I will say that is a beauty.

Baxter Smith
10-07-2011, 11:57 PM
That came out very well for your first dye attempt. Real pretty!

Kathy Marshall
10-08-2011, 1:52 AM
Great looking piece Dennis! Nice job on the dyeing, I like the 2 tone effect! It brought out the curl nicely!

Tim Rinehart
10-08-2011, 7:47 AM
Dennis,
Isn't a thing I can say about this but that I like it. Really interesting piece and colors.
Super job.