PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing 5 gallons of Denatured Alcohol

Rich Aldrich
10-07-2011, 8:12 PM
Last year I bought a 5 gallon can of denatured alcohol from Ace and soon need another can. Ace no longer can ship it without the hazzardous handling fee. Is there anyone who has a good source for this stuff in a 5 gallon container without the hazzardous handling fee? Basically, it makes a $50 purchase $100. I can get 5 single gallon cans at Menards for about $80, not on sale.

phil harold
10-07-2011, 8:30 PM
find where the professional painters go...

or there is plenty around the Illinois town of Tiskilwa.

Steve Vaughan
10-07-2011, 9:16 PM
Yup, that's what I was gonna say - local namebrand paint stores that just specialize in paint.

Josh Bowman
10-07-2011, 9:21 PM
I haven't tried it yet, but some of the guys in my club get it for free or just a few dollars. They take 5 gallon buckets to the local oil distributor. Apparently when they get it in, they have to drain the hoses into something.

Rich Aldrich
10-08-2011, 8:40 AM
Thanks for the tips. I'll have to check out the Sherwin Williams store in Escanaba.

Don Nurmela
10-08-2011, 11:08 AM
Rich,
Nelson's paint in Kingsford has 5 gallon buckets. Last one I bought was $47.

Rich Aldrich
10-08-2011, 1:02 PM
Don - thanks for the tip. I will be needing more in about a month or so, Swim season starts and when we go to the Kingsford Relays that will be a perfert time to pick it up.

Primvs Aebvtivs
10-08-2011, 6:38 PM
I see this thread is populated by Americans (Hi folks!). In the U.K. de-natured alcohol is also called "Methylated Spirits" - the same stuff, but with a purple additive (and the petrol content). We DON'T need any hazardous labelling / carriage charges - having checked our Health and Safety website "civilians" can buy as much as they want. The problem comes when you want to store a LOT of it... Do you guys have this in the States? Only asking in case it's a Brit thing...

phil harold
10-08-2011, 7:08 PM
I see this thread is populated by Americans (Hi folks!). In the U.K. de-natured alcohol is also called "Methylated Spirits" - the same stuff, but with a purple additive (and the petrol content). We DON'T need any hazardous labelling / carriage charges - having checked our Health and Safety website "civilians" can buy as much as they want. The problem comes when you want to store a LOT of it... Do you guys have this in the States? Only asking in case it's a Brit thing...

purple? does it change the colour of wood?

Rich Aldrich
10-08-2011, 9:54 PM
Primvs - We have a shipping charge for hazzardous materials. It even applies to gun powder for those of us who reload our own shot shells and rifle and pistol cartridges. As far as I know, there isnt a real issue for civilians and how much is stored. The insurance companies may have a big issue with it though.

Chris Barnett
10-09-2011, 6:48 AM
Drain hoses...do not quite understand? Need a large quantity of the stuff to soak green wood during the turning process but had no idea where to get it.

Josh Bowman
10-09-2011, 7:23 AM
Drain hoses...do not quite understand? Need a large quantity of the stuff to soak green wood during the turning process but had no idea where to get it.
Chris when a tanker comes in with oil, gas or alcohol, they connect the tanker via hoses to a meter then the meter to the storage tank. These hoses are big, 3 or 4". When they are complete, the hoses still have some "unmetered" product in them and has to be drained into something to empty the hose. That's were some of my club members help. They provide the buckets for them to empty the hoses.

philip labre
10-09-2011, 8:16 AM
Rich, beside Sherwin Williams their is Sviland's paint downtown. Never looked for DNA so I can't tell you if they have it.

Phil Landwer
10-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Just remember, not all DNA is the same. It's all about the alcohol content. I know the Menards brand is one of the few that's high enough, but many others are not.

Scott Hackler
10-09-2011, 12:49 PM
I always buy mine at Sherwon Williams but they dont carry 5 gal buckets in store stock and have to order it. Last time it was something like $48 including tax.

Rich Aldrich
10-09-2011, 7:48 PM
Scott - I called our local Sherwin Williams and the sales person said they cant even order it.

Philip - I'll have to try Svilands. I have not heard of them.

Phil - I hadnt considered the concentration. I had ordered 5 gallons of S-L-X last year from Ace and it seemed to work fine. I just bought 2 gallons from Menards to get by for now - Sunny side or something like that.

Bill Luce
10-10-2011, 11:53 AM
I wish I could find DA so cheap. The cheapest I have managed is $10 a gal but that is in a 55 gallon drum.

I do see it for cheaper on the web, but we are back to the shipping issue.

Also all DA are not alike. Some contain to 45 percent methanol (e.g. Klean Strip SLX) which is pretty nasty and I am trying now to avoid (even though it is much cheaper). And the 55 barrel I bought turns out is over 6 percent water.

Primvs Aebvtivs
10-10-2011, 5:22 PM
For Phil Harold

Sorry I didn't reply earlier - haven't tried the "Meths" yet - getting a bowl blank ready is taking too long - will try a piece of scrap pine to test the colour change. Let you know when it's soaked / stored, and dried!

Primvs Aebvtivs
11-02-2011, 5:53 PM
For Phil - a quick update.

I've put two bowl blanks in Meths on 1/11/11, one in newspaper, and a hole in it, the other in shavings and wrapped in paper and a sealed bag. Weighed them both tonight to start recording weight loss. I'll see when they're dry as to whether the colour has leached into the wood, and let you know how they went!