PDA

View Full Version : Ok for Apples, not for Applesauce

Baxter Smith
10-07-2011, 6:00 PM
This was one of my earliest roughouts from an old uprooted appletree in Maine. It was my largest at the time and I remember being pretty excited to turn something at just about the capacity of my lathe. Last spring after waiting almost a year, I finish turned it.

There was a bark inclusion near the bottom that I had put CA on after roughing. I debated on adding some coffee and epoxy coffee while finishing, but decided to leave it as is/the natural look. While cleaning up the bottom, a piece of solid wood suddenly disappeared up the dust collector hose.:eek: Apparently, the leave it alone decision wasn’t a good one!:) Rather disgusted, I let it collect dust and bounce around the shop for the next 6 months. Since the photo tent was still set up, I did a little more wet sanding with Walnut Oil this morning.

At least I won’t have to look at it anymore!
In the shop at least…. . Its presently on the kitchen table holding a mixture of those seconds that will get made into applesauce...and end up in another bowl.:rolleyes::)

11 x 3 ½ x 3/8 finished with Walnut Oil and Beeswax
Your thoughts and advice are always welcome!

Dennis Ford
10-07-2011, 7:26 PM
That is a very nice bowl, I like it with the void.

Rich Aldrich
10-07-2011, 7:57 PM
Baxter - nice bowl. I like the form and the wood. If you made your apple sauce really viscous, it probably wouldnt leak out.....as fast.

Marty Eargle
10-07-2011, 8:00 PM
That is some fine looking wood and you really made it into a wonderful bowl. I would be upset that you will rarely see the void with all those apples in it...but it just looks perfect holding them. Great job!

Allen stagg
10-07-2011, 8:58 PM
I really like it as is. I like natural with voids better myself.

Thomas Canfield
10-07-2011, 9:04 PM
Since I do "priceless" work (have to give it away), I give a lot of "fruit bowls" that have the voids, worm holes, etc. They do make nice display pieces for either real or fake fruit or nuts. Nice looking bowl. Only the real experts go to the trouble of filling in all of their mistakes or natures beauty marks. Some of them even go to the trouble to punch holes or carve up a perfectly good turned piece. Go figure.

Harry Robinette
10-07-2011, 9:11 PM
Baxter
Really pretty piece, Apple is so hard to work with you never know whats going to happen: crack,chunk flying off or even a void were there shouldn't be one.
I like the way it came out.

Bernie Weishapl
10-07-2011, 9:31 PM
Baxter that is a really nice bowl. Like the simple form and wood has some great color.

Baxter Smith
10-08-2011, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the comments!

Baxter - nice bowl. I like the form and the wood. If you made your apple sauce really viscous, it probably wouldnt leak out.....as fast.
My wife makes, and we both like, very chunky applesauce nice and cold out of the fridge. Just not quite that chunky!:)

Since I do "priceless" work (have to give it away), I give a lot of "fruit bowls" that have the voids, worm holes, etc. They do make nice display pieces for either real or fake fruit or nuts. Nice looking bowl. Only the real experts go to the trouble of filling in all of their mistakes or natures beauty marks. Some of them even go to the trouble to punch holes or carve up a perfectly good turned piece. Go figure.
Thanks Tom. I like the natural and priceless work too!:) I had hoped to give this one to the fellow in Maine whose land it came from. Don't know him well enough to give him a bowl with a hole in the bottom!;):D

Kathy Marshall
10-08-2011, 1:50 AM
Very nice Baxter! The form looks great and I love the color and the void is just a freebie embellishment!

Michelle Rich
10-08-2011, 9:19 AM
pretty bowl, Baxter..lucky is the kitchen!!

charlie knighton
10-08-2011, 9:43 AM
very nice Baxter, i am sure the farmer will like any of your bowls

Allan Ferguson
10-08-2011, 2:11 PM
Like that bowl. A friend dropped off a couple of apple butt rounds for me this August, about 24" diameter. Anchor sealed, rough turned two chunks. I am not well versed in green wood and may end up with shavings and worthless hunks for the wood stove. I would be all to happy to end up with something as nice as your bowl.

Baxter Smith
10-08-2011, 2:56 PM
Thanks all!

very nice Baxter, i am sure the farmer will like any of your bowls
Charlie, the present landowner actually runs the East Wind Inn about a half mile away from where it grew. (You can google it. It is actually for sale if you have some spare change.:)) It was about a foot on the other side of the stonewall/property line back in the woods. I am sure he had never seen the tree or even knew it was there when I asked him if I could salvage some.

Like that bowl. A friend dropped off a couple of apple butt rounds for me this August, about 24" diameter. Anchor sealed, rough turned two chunks. I am not well versed in green wood and may end up with shavings and worthless hunks for the wood stove. I would be all to happy to end up with something as nice as your bowl.
Good luck with those pieces Alan. They sound great! The trunk on this tree would have resulted in a similar size if the center hadn't been rotten. Have a couple of 16 inch ones I have yet to sand out.

John Keeton
10-08-2011, 3:23 PM
Baxter, missed this one! While it may have lost its function as a salad bowl, it certainly works well as a fruit bowl. Beautiful wood, and great form. I actually like the void - adds a lot to this one.

Thomas Canfield
10-08-2011, 9:47 PM
Baxter,

Tell the fellow it is a design opportunity that ended up as a self draining dry bowl. It really would make a good gift, as you should be able to tell from the other comments.