PDA

View Full Version : Never again!!!

Richard Jones
10-07-2011, 4:24 PM
Pine, yes, that's right, pine, bowl, approx. 15" x 5". Shellac and WOP. Started out as a laminated beam (2x6's, stacked to 16" tall) from a post-and-beam dwelling. My nobility gene kicked in and I thought it would make a nice gift for the homeowners. Really fun (#$^^&!!!!!) trying to get a smooth cut, would up scraping it with a skew flat on the rest. Did I mention that it's pine?

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't................but at least I can say I did it and have it out of my system.

Just thought I'd share.

Rich209428209429

Donny Lawson
10-07-2011, 4:48 PM
I've turned some "Recycled' pine from a couch leg and it wasn't too bad. It did take a little more effort than regular wood. More sanding was involved but it turned out OK. You have a great looking bowl. Hopefully the homeowners will like it. What kind of finish do you have on it?

Chris Colman
10-07-2011, 5:46 PM
It seem like the grain is always running the wrong way with those turnings from laminated pine beams. So much wrestling with tearout!

I usually resort to liberal use of both shellac to stiffen the fibers and my 80 grit gouge to smooth down the tearout.

Your bowl looks great. It looks nice and smooth from the pictures.

Josh Bowman
10-07-2011, 7:04 PM
I'm certain the owners will be proud to have the bowl from a scrap of their house. Looks great.

Marty Eargle
10-07-2011, 8:04 PM
I love the way the grain in a good slab of pine looks...but it is no fun to turn, and less fun to sand and finish. Great looking bowl though.

Rich Aldrich
10-07-2011, 8:06 PM
It really turned out well, pardon the pun. l like the shape and the bottom. I think Chris is right as a reason for tear out. I have turned one dry spruce burl and it was nice. I have about 6 more that are wet that I need to turn. The trick could be dealing with the pitch.

Harry Robinette
10-07-2011, 9:03 PM
Richard
I've made a couple small bowls from pine but NOTHING like this one.This is a beautiful bowl and also it's made from pine. You really got that finish down to a T.
Richard You done good.

Thomas Canfield
10-07-2011, 9:32 PM
Turning pine will make you appreciate good sharp tools and proper techniques. Nice looking bowl. I was looking at a pine bowl about that size that I turned a couple of years ago from "dead'' pine that still had some moisture and lots of sap and given as a fruit bowl. Yours has a lot more use, but the dead pine still makes a striking bowl with the contrast of grain. Don't say "never" - you might get another inspiration.

Bernie Weishapl
10-07-2011, 9:36 PM
Really a nice looking bowl and came out well. I did a plywood bowl just to say I did. Never happen again.:D

Michelle Rich
10-08-2011, 9:23 AM
great gift..it will mean a lot to the recipients. Good job

Karl Card
10-08-2011, 6:49 PM
One might say it is the thought that counts. But your thought really turned out nice then add in the fact it is pine and it turned out great...

Russell Neyman
10-08-2011, 7:43 PM
I was afraid I'd spot a comment like this, I posted a note two days ago about a huge fir burl given to me, and my concern is that it's going to be misery to turn. Too sappy and fiber-y, I fear. Fir and pine are essentially the same thing, with only subtle differences; both conifers, with needle-type foliage and nut cones.

Richard Jones
10-08-2011, 8:05 PM
I was afraid I'd spot a comment like this, I posted a note two days ago about a huge fir burl given to me, and my concern is that it's going to be misery to turn. Too sappy and fiber-y, I fear. Fir and pine are essentially the same thing, with only subtle differences; both conifers, with needle-type foliage and nut cones.

Russell,

The main issue with this one, I believe, was the orientation of the pieces. One had grain running left, one right, one longitudinally, etc. I don't think a solid piece would have given me such a fit. Sanding softwoods is always tricky, since you get hills and valleys with those huge honkin' growth rings........... Good luck with that fir, keep us posted.

Rich