PDA

View Full Version : Reed Gray's Cored Madrone

Baxter Smith
10-07-2011, 2:43 PM
In January after posting pictures of some Amrbosia Maple I had cut in my front yard, Reed Gray sent me a pm. Asked if I was interested in trading. Never one to turn down a trade, especially for something different…so two large flat rate boxes headed west. In return, I received a great chunk of Madrone and one of Myrtle. I cored both of them right away but turned the Madrone fairly thin. I finally got around to sanding out the Madrone a couple of weeks ago. It is wonderful/fascinating stuff to turn but it sands about like everything else. :)

The largest bowl is 11 ¼ x 4h. The most oval dried to 9 ¼ x 8 in width. There are a few marks from the heel of my gouge, some stains from the stretch wrap, a few screw holes from the faceplate, and one had to be stitched up with some copper wire, but they are good enough for whose kitchen they are going to be in. I was fortunate enough to meet Reed in Saint Paul at the AAW and thank him for the wood BUT... thanks again Reed for some neat wood and a bit of a story to go with it!Finished with a mixture of walnut oil and beeswax. Comments and critiques are always welcome

Prashun Patel
10-07-2011, 3:35 PM
I love these, Baxter. That stiching is a great idea I'll have to steal. The warp you got on the smaller bowls is really appealing. The symmetry you got was something I'm aspiring to. Thanks for posting. You are prolific. Whenever you post it's: Check out these 20 bowls I just made....

Tim Rinehart
10-07-2011, 4:16 PM
I think that shot of the bottom tells the story with madrone. Wonderful set and great that you guys were able to treat each other like that!

Josh Bowman
10-07-2011, 7:07 PM
Great bowls Baxter. Also a great story.

Bernie Weishapl
10-07-2011, 9:47 PM
Really nice bowls Baxter. Great story.

Baxter Smith
10-07-2011, 11:54 PM
Thanks guys. I was real happy when I heard Reed was going to be coming to St. Paul. Nothing like meeting and thanking someone in person.

Reed Gray
10-08-2011, 12:54 AM
I love having a branch part on the side of the bowl. It always warps more strangely there. Now you know why I love Madrone.

It was really nice to meet the Creekers in St. Paul. Now, I can match a few names to people I have met.

robo hippy

Kathy Marshall
10-08-2011, 1:46 AM
Cool set of bowls Baxter! I like the warpage, especially how the 3 smaller ones seem to have warped almost identically! Lots of character in that set!

Alan Trout
10-08-2011, 8:25 AM
Baxter, that is a beautiful set of bowls and the photos turned out really nice. Well done.

Alan

Michelle Rich
10-08-2011, 9:15 AM
very pleasing color in this wood..nice group!

charlie knighton
10-08-2011, 9:47 AM
very nice set of bowls, thanks for sharing Baxter

David Gilbert
10-08-2011, 9:55 AM
I love your bowls. I like the color, shapes and the movement of the wood. I'll have to add a coring system to my need (want) to buy list. I wish that Madrone grew around upstate New York. I have some spalted beech, maple, and a little apple but no madrone.

Cheers,
David

Tony Wheeler
10-08-2011, 10:14 AM
nice bowls baxter I would like to see the inside of the stitched bowl

Bill Walsh
10-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Baxter, sure makes a good case for coring!!!! Like the copper wire stitch work.

Baxter Smith
10-08-2011, 2:41 PM
Thanks for taking the time to comment. I value your thoughts!:)

I love having a branch part on the side of the bowl. It always warps more strangely there. Now you know why I love Madrone.

It was really nice to meet the Creekers in St. Paul. Now, I can match a few names to people I have met.

robo hippy
Thanks again Reed. The wood around the branch did really contort a lot more than the pictures show. I suppose that area is a lot more prone to cracking due to those stresses. I wrapped the rims but didn't place them in bags until I noticed that one had already cracked. I kicked myself for not taking that extra step at the time but perhaps it was inevitable.

Cool set of bowls Baxter! I like the warpage, especially how the 3 smaller ones seem to have warped almost identically! Lots of character in that set!
The warpage was interesting Kathy. The two largest seemed to change shape in one direction and the three smallest in the other.

I love your bowls. I like the color, shapes and the movement of the wood. I'll have to add a coring system to my need (want) to buy list. I wish that Madrone grew around upstate New York. I have some spalted beech, maple, and a little apple but no madrone.

Cheers,
David
Thanks David. Madrone and mesquite are the two things I have turned that I wished grew in the East. But then, I suppose they wouldn't seem so special!:) Coring systems are handy when you have a piece of wood that is unique to you or your area.

nice bowls baxter I would like to see the inside of the stitched bowl
Hope these pics give you what you are looking for Tony. Not sure if you were interested in the grain or the stictching. If these don't do the trick, you know where to find me.;):)