PDA

View Full Version : New LV Mini looks kinda cool

Chris Griggs
10-07-2011, 12:24 PM
Ha! Check out the new Veritas mini - this one might actually be quite useful.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=67814&cat=51&ap=1

Jerome Hanby
10-07-2011, 1:44 PM
If nothing else those planes are great introductions to their brand. I got the shoulder and edge plane last Christmas and I was pretty impressed with them. Makes me pretty sure their big brothers would be winners.

Chris Griggs
10-07-2011, 2:46 PM
This one just seems cool to me because I feel like I could actually find a practical use for it. If you've ever made the mistake of assembling a cabinet before cutting mortises for knife hinges you know I'm talking about:) .

Dave Lehnert
10-07-2011, 2:56 PM
I was so proud of myself last week (at the WIA) I resisted the force and did not buy a single hand plane. Been having bad withdrawals ever since. And now this.

I would think there would be a market for the mini planes with the Doll House makers.

Chris Griggs
10-07-2011, 4:50 PM
This makes me kinda wonder why they didn't apply the screw feed adjuster to their actual small router plane (feel free to chime in here Rob with your thoughts). Based on the cost of this mini it doesn't seem like it would have made the thing much more expensive.

I love my big LV router and have been thinking of getting the LV small, but would be tempted to get this instead simply because of the convenience of the screw adjuster, then again, those tiny knobs don't look all that easy to hold.

Dave L - stay strong man, I've been having a serious urge to splurge lately too. Fortunately, my b-day is only a month away so I just need to hold off until then.

Jerome Hanby
10-07-2011, 5:22 PM
I wonder what the development timeline was. If the small came out before the large (and of course both came before the mini) then the large may have just had improvements that tramped along to the new mini design but haven't beem backed into the older small version. IF (<--big if) the small version came out first...

This makes me kinda wonder why they didn't apply the screw feed adjuster to their actual small router plane (feel free to chime in here Rob with your thoughts). Based on the cost of this mini it doesn't seem like it would have made the thing much more expensive.

I love my big LV router and have been thinking of getting the LV small, but would be tempted to get this instead simply because of the convenience of the screw adjuster, then again, those tiny knobs don't look all that easy to hold.

Dave L - stay strong man, I've been having a serious urge to splurge lately too. Fortunately, my b-day is only a month away so I just need to hold off until then.

Chris Griggs
10-07-2011, 5:45 PM
I wonder what the development timeline was. If the small came out before the large (and of course both came before the mini) then the large may have just had improvements that tramped along to the new mini design but haven't beem backed into the older small version. IF (<--big if) the small version came out first...

Your probably correct. Also, I wonder if it has to do with the predecessors of the router planes. Stanley and Sargent larger routers had screw feeds and their smalls didn't. My guess is the small wasn't designed with the intention of being a smaller version of a large router, but rather designed as a new improved version of the Stanley 271.

Jim Neeley
10-07-2011, 6:57 PM
Large, Small and Tiny...

Why does this make me think of childrens stories, bears and [Who's been eating my] porridge? <g>

John A. Callaway
10-10-2011, 1:27 AM
aarrrgggghhh..... I haven't been on the web in a few days, and I come here and see this. I just got the big version of this tool a few weeks back, haven't even had time to use it yet...and now, I will definitely be ordering this little gem next time I place an order .... BTW, I love the little shoulder plane... such a neat tool to just hold and look at, not to mention use it for small things...

Trevor Walsh
10-10-2011, 3:50 PM
I have the 1/4" detail rabbet plane, I wonder how it stacks up comfort-in-use compared to the tine shoulder plane.

Mike Brady
10-10-2011, 4:23 PM
Probably every bit as useful as its tiny counterparts........:rolleyes: