PDA

View Full Version : First Bowl

Ed Scolforo
02-27-2005, 8:10 PM
Hi All: After doing some pens and a few wine bottle stoppers, I thought I'd take a shot at bowlturning. I bought Bill Grumbine's DVD and was immediately inspired. A woodturning friend gave me a few maple burl blanks, about 6.5 x 2.5 inches. This one may not have been a good choice to practice with, given the bark running thru it, but, hey, you have to start somewhere! I have a Jet mini. This was finished with Tung Oil since it's what I had on hand. Comments/ suggestions welcomed. Thanks, Ed.

Bruce Shiverdecker
02-27-2005, 9:26 PM
FOR A FIRST bowl the work is VERY good .

The wood is fantastic. The burl and the Bark make it easy on the eyes................EYE CANDY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce

Jerry Clark
02-27-2005, 9:34 PM
I like the form and the curly grain -- the walls may be a little thick but great first bowl Mine went in the fireplace!

Dick Parr
02-27-2005, 11:25 PM
Beautiful bowl Ed!

Jim Ketron
02-28-2005, 12:06 AM
Nice Bowl Ed!
just keep at it your doing fine;)
Jim

Greg Tatum
02-28-2005, 12:14 AM
It looks great Ed....did you use a faceplate or did you buy an upgraded chuck?....I have the Jet mini and the Grumbine dvd as well but I have been putting off turning a bowl...I think you just motivated me a bit :)

Keep 'em comming

Greg

Alan Ryalls
02-28-2005, 3:58 AM
hi ed,that is very good for a first attempt,keep up the good work..
regards alan.......

Ed Scolforo
02-28-2005, 9:13 AM
Thank you all for the kind words. Greg: I used the faceplate and live center to shape the bowl bottom and make a tenon and then reverse chucked into a Oneway Talon (nice chuck) to hollow the inside. Bought a 1/2" bowl gouge and round nose scraper. If you just follow Bill's video you should be in the ballpark. I made a compression chuck to finish the bottom, again in the DVD. BTW, I'm so impressed with Bill as a teacher that I'm going to spend a day with him, one on one, this May. Hope I don't develop too many bad habits between now and then!
Ed

Glenn Hodges
02-28-2005, 10:28 AM
Great start, beautiful wood choice...some people like thick wall bowls. You will probably keep this one forever because it is a keeper. You made a smart move on taking lessons from Mr. Grumbine, he was the first person I ever saw turn a bowl.