PDA

View Full Version : Hello from New York and an Epilog question

Vinny Gavigan
10-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Hello everyone,
Im stopping by to say hello and introduce myself, my name is Vinny and Im happy to meet you all. I thought this would be a good place for a first post after looking around for a while. Im on the verge of buying a new Epilog Zing 16 , 30 watt (12x16 area) and was hoping to get your feedback on this entry level machine. I run a one-man graphics shop part time from my home and do vinyl cutting and large format color printing here, the rest I sub out (t-shirts, biz cards etc) I intend to use this laser for small part marking, contractor ID tags and small gifts to be sold in stores thru established contacts I've made over the years. This machine looks good and Im aware of its limitations: no rotary add-on, no front door loading, 30 watts power. Has anyone found the prices for Lasers to be negotiable? Im looking to get the honeycomb table insert ($320 option) and maybe air assist ($300). Also what questions should I be asking? this is my first laser purchase.
Thank you,
Vinny

Ed Maloney
10-07-2011, 5:23 PM
Hi Vinny - I would go with a 24x12 bed if that's in your budget. Most suppliers (at least mine) don't carry 12x16 sheets. From looking at the Zing specs I would save the $300 air curtain thing and just get yourself an air compressor for much less than that. You will really need the honeycomb table, but I am surprised at the cost. I would suggest talking to your rep and get that thrown in for free. I ordered a replacement one a few months ago and it wasn't even close to that price. BTW - I needed to replace it because I had a fire situation in the laser so make sure you review fire prevention posts here.

You didn't mention what type of materials you will be using the laser for. 30W should do fine if you are not planning on cutting any real thick stuff. With the savings of the table insert and the air curtain thing I would opt for the 40W though.

Vinny Gavigan
10-08-2011, 1:11 PM
Hi Ed,
Thanks for your reply, I do actually have an airbrush compressor that may serve well for air assist. The 12x16 cutting area would limit me somewhat, and I'd have to cut down the 12x24 standard size sheets. I did think the $320 price tag for the honeycomb was steep, I will try and work on that as you suggested. The 40watt upgrade is a $1500 option, I'll be close to ten grand when its all added up. I look at this as like buying a car, after you add in the options, sometimes you might as well by the next model up from that one. I believe the 12x24 Mini is around $12.5k. It's a bigger finance payment, so a lot to think about. I was really comfortable with the payment the Zing16 would've had, around $160 a month. I'll be doing mostly Acrylic on this machine, ID tags, gifts, and want to have the ability to cut through 3/16'' thickness acrylic when needed. -Vinny

David Fairfield
10-08-2011, 2:37 PM
As long as you are aware of the limitations of the size, and the nuisance factor of cutting stock to fit, I think you will be fine with this machine. I have a 12x24 35 watt, do a range of cutting, and 99% is done in the upper left corner, at less than 100% power. I'm glad to have the excess capacity though, for the times I needed it, but I could be happy with a Zing, too. For the times you need to cut bigger stuff, you can shop it out to friends you'll make here. :) Welcome to th Creek.

Dave

John Noell
10-08-2011, 4:07 PM
First, I would suggest you consider a used machine with a warranty, from a reputable dealer. I am very happy with my used Epilog. Second, my airbrush compressor was not really adequate for long engraving runs so I ended up buying a Gast compressor. Very nice is a bit expensive. Just more to think about! :)

Vinny Gavigan
10-08-2011, 4:22 PM
Thanks for the welcome Dave, I'm sure I could make good use of the 12x16 cutting area. Its true what you say about how often you use the full cutting area. My large format printer is like that, it isn't always used at full width. The other thing I didn't mention was the available shop space for the Laser. The area I have fits the Zing16 dimensions well, and its right next to a window so I can easily jump out when things go wrong!:D. I look forward to meeting everyone here, the friends I've made over at other forums I frequent have been most excellent. -Vinny

Mike Daniels
10-08-2011, 5:45 PM
Vinny, Check Rabbit Laser in Middletown Ohio. I got a 60Watt with Air,Honeycomb, 33 x 24 Engraving Table. I know its China,but I been at it for 2 years with no Problems $8500.00 Delivered to MN,set-up and training. Mike

Vinny Gavigan
10-08-2011, 5:47 PM
Thanks Mike, I'll look into that. -Vinny

Martin Boekers
10-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Remember, you will probably have to buy two cutters or shears if to don't have any.
One for plastic and one for metals. (if you in a non-standard size bed) You will need
a metal shear if you plan to make plates.

I believe Dee here, uses a small compressor that "Nail Salons" use about $30.
I would hold off on the vector grid, hit a big box store like Lowes and see what metal
perforated sheets that they have that may work. If not check with Mike Null here,
he can see you get a grid for quite a bit less. One thing usually an air handler is not included,
you may find something cheaper at Harbor Freight. Sure you can negotiate with these guys!
I imagine you already have a version of Corel, If not sign up to their website, they let you know
the specials they have. Watch for a special you'll save $100+. Also most vendors have a "Trade Show
Special" so watch for those and ask about it. See what kind of discount they'll give for a demo machine.
Those machines are carefully watched, they don't want it to fail on the show floor! I have two Epilog Legends
both with 24x36 beds, It's rare I do anything more that 24x24, most less than that. I cut a lot of acrylic letters
and 24x24 sheets are cheaper to ship :) If you can hit a trade show and bring some samples of the work
you want to do, it's nice to see haw the laser performs. You can estimate speed and how many passes
it may take to cut material. More power means less time.

Khalid Nazim
10-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Hi Martin, can you elaborate on the cutters you are suggesting to buy. I am also establishing my business and have bought a laser which will be delivered on Oct 20th. I would like to know some specific details of the cutters you are mentioning so that I can go out and buy them.

Martin Boekers
10-09-2011, 10:54 PM
I bought my cutters from JDS, they are a "knife style" cutter. About $350 ea I believe.
The blades are different for the cutters for plastic and metal. For plastic you can always
cut it with the laser if the plastic fits on the bed. I think they are an Accu-Cutter

This is the model number S1200M. (for the metal one) You may be able to find something
less that will work from a store like Harbor Freight or find these on Craigs list used. They aren't cheap!
The cutting length is 12". The accessories can add up quickly! If you find a used one
I pay about $25 to get the blades sharpened.