PDA

View Full Version : Merlin Splitter Update.....

Jennifer@Indy.USA
04-21-2003, 11:13 AM
Hi Gang,

Well I just got off the phone with Excalibur. I explained that the splitter that I bought for my JET contractor saw was missing some of the instructions.....but that I managed to figure out the installation. I explained to him that my main reason for calling was regarding not being able to raise my blade the full range that it is suppose to without hitting the receiver mechanism that holds the actual splitter. If raised fully the blade would hit the reciever. He told me that there was an oversight in the design and that there was a new bracket that he will ship to me promptly. He also said he wold include a new and improved version of the installation paperwork.

So, I just wanted to pass this information along to you. If you have this issue with yours give them a call.....The gentelman who helped me was very kind and helpful and they picked up on the second ring!

Jennifer

Rod Peterson
04-21-2003, 12:34 PM
<br>
I hope they follow through, Jennifer. However, in another thread elsewhere, there were at least three experiences related of promises to <i>send [it] right out</i> followed by no further response.

Any chance of getting one of your metal working expert friends (like Al C.) to look at re-engineering the part and fabricating a one-off?

Then he could start work on our mini-lathe stands...

Jennifer@Indy.USA
04-21-2003, 1:10 PM
Hmmmm...I don't know about that one Rod....

Perhaps if I persuade Al with a dinner at Ruth's Chris or something?

Originally posted by Rod Peterson
<br>
I hope they follow through, Jennifer. However, in another thread elsewhere, there were at least three experiences related of promises to <i>send [it] right out</i> followed by no further response.

Any chance of getting one of your metal working expert friends (like Al C.) to look at re-engineering the part and fabricating a one-off?

Then he could start work on our mini-lathe stands... :D

Bobby Hatfield
04-21-2003, 2:55 PM
Jen, be sure to post pic's of the splitter installation for all of us Old Geezers who don't read instructions anyway. Bobby

Von Bickley
04-21-2003, 4:13 PM
Jen,

Installing new splitter on table saw. Does this mean some flat work is on the way? You must be planning on taking a break from the lathe.

Jennifer@Indy.USA
04-21-2003, 9:33 PM
Hi Von,

Well I'm not taking break......I have a new bed soon to be in the works and I decided it was time to put a splitter and an outfeed table on the saw before I delve into that one. It's been way too long for both of those items.......but taking a break from the lathe.....neva!

:)

Von Bickley
04-21-2003, 9:48 PM
Jennifer,

Yes on that outfeed table... Built my outfeed table about 4' X 6'. Best thing I ever did in my shop. Outfeed table doubles as assembly table. Electrical outlets on both sides.

Jim Becker
04-21-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Jennifer@Indy.USA
I have a new bed soon to be in the works and I decided it was time to put a splitter and an outfeed table on the saw before I delve into that one.

Jennifer, what are your plans for accomodating the Merlin splitter with an outfeed solution? That was the one thing that concerned me about this device design in that you need to "flip it back" to get it out of the way for non-through cuts. That will require a fairly substantial opening in an attached outfeed system or one that moves out of the way. Just curious...<G>

Jennifer@Indy.USA
04-22-2003, 1:02 PM
Originally posted by Jim Becker
Jennifer, what are your plans for accomodating the Merlin splitter with an outfeed solution? That was the one thing that concerned me about this device design in that you need to "flip it back" to get it out of the way for non-through cuts. That will require a fairly substantial opening in an attached outfeed system or one that moves out of the way. Just curious...<G>

Jim,

I haven't cut the outfeed table yet, but it will only take a kerf big enough to allow the splitter to reside in. I'm guessing only about 1/4" wide and about 3" deep into the top. I bought the Rockler Outfeel table a few months ago. I'll just cut it on the bandsaw.

Jennifer

Kirk (KC) Constable
04-23-2003, 7:47 AM
Ruth's Chris?! For a teensy favor?! What can I do for you? I've always wanted to go there. :)

KC

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
04-23-2003, 10:26 PM
A splitter is also on my list of NEEDS for the shop, let us know how well it works once you get it all set up,

Take care,
Jim