PDA

View Full Version : African Blackwood

Dwight McNutt
10-07-2011, 3:23 AM
Where would a person find the best deal on this wood?

Thanks Dwight

Donny Lawson
10-07-2011, 6:51 AM
I've had pretty good luck with e-bay.

David E Keller
10-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Despite the fact that your Tide destroyed my Razorbacks a few weeks ago, I'm gonna take the high road here... Call Gilmer in Portland about their bundles of African Blackwood. Several of us bought them about a year ago, and it's the best price I've ever seen for spindle blanks.

PS. Their new website sucks, so I'd just call them and see if they still have the deal going on.

John Keeton
10-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Despite the fact that your Tide destroyed my Razorbacks a few weeks ago, I'm gonna take the high road here...Such a gentleman!!!

Dwight, if you discover the bundle deal is still available, please post here and let us know. I was one of the ones that got in on the original deal, and I would be inclined to do it again.

Tim Rinehart
10-07-2011, 1:19 PM
I'll echo that was a great deal. I was just in Gilmer's site recently, but didn't see such special right now...but a call is best to verify.
I did score some nice pieces of blackwood recently in our Woodcraft $3/lb bin...believe it or not. A friend of mine showed me "this hard as nails dark wood" he got from the bin, and I immediately recognized it as blackwood. I told him what it was, and he went back and cleaned out most of what was there, save a few pieces I went in following day and got. Some were chunks 3"x3"x3-4" long. Cutoffs I suspect, but wonderful cutoffs.
I'll keep my eyes into that bin more often, occasional superb finds there.
Other online sources include blackwoodsource and griffin exotic, but I've not purchased from either.

Nick Fournier
10-07-2011, 1:23 PM
Not sure if this is the deal from last time, but I ran across this on the Gilmer Wood page:

https://www.gilmerwood.com/items.php?CID=34
(https://www.gilmerwood.com/items.php?CID=34)

Tim Rinehart
10-07-2011, 3:23 PM
Hey Nick...good work. I couldn't find that last time I was in. Probably didn't look in right place.

Jon McElwain
10-07-2011, 4:01 PM
Mozambique - you can get it for free there...

Scott Hackler
10-07-2011, 4:56 PM
+1 on Gilmer Woods. I bought a "sack" of African Blackwood from them and its nice stuff. About 75lbs worth. Most are 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 square and range from 8 to 12 inches long. I use it for finials and pendants and resaw the blanks into 3/4" square stock. It really brough the price down for my particular use. Friendly folks as well.

PS they also have BLM burl caps sold by the pound and because of the high postage, on the Blackwood.... well lets just say a few more pounds of BLM doesnt hurt that much more! :)

Dwight McNutt
10-08-2011, 3:12 AM
Despite the fact that your Tide destroyed my Razorbacks a few weeks ago, I'm gonna take the high road here... Call Gilmer in Portland about their bundles of African Blackwood. Several of us bought them about a year ago, and it's the best price I've ever seen for spindle blanks.

PS. Their new website sucks, so I'd just call them and see if they still have the deal going on.

David: The game surprised me as well, but I do believe the Hogs are a strong team.
John: The deal seems to still be available, it's listed under new arrivals.

Thanks Dwight