PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt 735 Planer Flappy, Noisy Belt

Thomas L. Miller
10-06-2011, 9:46 PM
Hi folks,
My Dewalt 735 planer started making a "flappy" noise after planing about 200 bf of ash for a workbench. I took the belt cover off and noticed that the nut on the end of the blade bar. I put it back on, but the synthetic belt that drives the blade wheel is loose. Is there a way to tighten up the belt so that it doesn't flap? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I apologize for the highly technical terms like "flappy". :)
Thanks,
Tom

Gary Pennington
10-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Flappy works just fine. I've had mine apart several times recently for other issues. I don't believe there's any way to adjust the belt tension. I was talking to one of the more experienced guys at the local Rockler yesterday about the belts being somewhat loose. He said that they are designed that way to be the weak link. If the head slows dramatically or stalls, the belt should melt before something expensive breaks.

I got a replacement in a very few days from ereplacementparts.com--was about $32 shipped

fRED mCnEILL
10-06-2011, 10:17 PM
" He said that they are designed that way to be the weak link"
Having owned(past tense) a few Dewalt tools, including a planer I would suggest that Dewalt is the "weak linK"

Thomas L. Miller
10-07-2011, 9:23 AM
Thanks guys. The planer works just fine. It was the noise that concerned me.
Tom