PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Need Unity Candle Design

Alan Mikkelsen
02-27-2005, 6:53 PM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=msgleft width="1%" rowSpan=4></TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>22175.1 (http://forums.taunton.com/tp-knots/messages?msg=22175.1) </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>Just had a phone call requesting a Craftsman inspired unity candle design. One main candle and eleven tapers. I don't have a clue!!! I'm two years behind in projects and this one now needs to by done by March 19, and yes, 2005!

Please, brethern and sistern, I need design help!

Alan & Lynette Mikkelsen, Mountain View Farm, est. 1934, Gardens & Fine Woodworking, St. Ignatius, MT

</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Bryan Nuss
02-27-2005, 7:30 PM
Alan,

999 out of 1000 Unity Candle sets are made up of one main candle and two smaller diameter tapers.

The photos below may give you some ideas.

Good luck on your deadline!

Bryan Nuss
02-27-2005, 8:02 PM
Alan,

Here's another approach, if your math is up to it. You could draw up an 11-sided polygon (called an undecagon) and cut it out in one piece on a bandsaw. Drill a hole at each vertex on the perimeter for the taper candles. Leave something in the middle to hold the main (bigger) candle. You should be able to keep it to no more than a foot across.

Here is the geometric formula for polygons:

http://www.geom.uiuc.edu/docs/reference/CRC-formulas/node24.html#SECTION01530000000000000000

If you need some help on the math, I can help you out.

Bill Arnold
02-28-2005, 7:27 AM
Try this Polygon Calculator: http://www.1728.com/polygon.htm

and the main index: http://www.1728.com/indexgeo.htm

Jim Dunn
02-28-2005, 7:45 AM
Alan since everybody has missed this, I see it's your first post. Welcome to the creek:) A great place to visit. Hope to see the finished product or the "pic police" will be on ya;)

Jim

Jeff Sudmeier
02-28-2005, 8:39 AM
Alan,

Welcome to the creek! Friends of hours had four tapers (one for each parent). They had the unity candle in the middle and the 4 tapers in a circle around the outside. I would think that design would look great even with more candles! :)

Alan Mikkelsen
02-28-2005, 10:55 AM
The bride and groom are building a craftsman inspired bungalow. Thus the request for a craftsman inspired unity candle to place on their mantle. They will each light a taper, then each of their children will light a taper. Thus eleven in all. (There's only going to be three children left at home, the rest are all adult children.) Thanks for all your replies.

Alan Mikkelsen
02-28-2005, 12:33 PM
I have two ideas. One is to have the large candle in the center, with three tapers in front of it, and four on each side. The large candle would be on a slightly elevated pedestal, the other candles would all be on the same level. The second idea is to have the eleven candles rising behind the large candle, with a peak behind the large candle. On the first idea, I would join the pieces with splines, a la Greene & Greene, with different woods. On the second, perhaps the candles behind the large candle could be in slight V, joined at the center by splines, also.

I have QS white oak, walnut, cherry and maple in my lumber racks to work with.

Thanks for all your ideas, keep them coming! I'm going to keep thinking about this for another day or so, before I begin making designer sawdust.

Bill Arnold
03-01-2005, 6:51 AM
I have two ideas. One is to have the large candle in the center, with three tapers in front of it, and four on each side. The large candle would be on a slightly elevated pedestal, the other candles would all be on the same level. The second idea is to have the eleven candles rising behind the large candle, with a peak behind the large candle. On the first idea, I would join the pieces with splines, a la Greene & Greene, with different woods. On the second, perhaps the candles behind the large candle could be in slight V, joined at the center by splines, also.

I have QS white oak, walnut, cherry and maple in my lumber racks to work with.

Thanks for all your ideas, keep them coming! I'm going to keep thinking about this for another day or so, before I begin making designer sawdust.
Alan,

In keeping with the traditional unity candle, I'd place two candles in front of a central large candle. That takes care of the bride and groom. The other nine candles could be in a semi-circle starting at each side of the main candle.

Regards,

Dave Richards
03-01-2005, 10:35 AM
How about something like this for the Unity candle? I've got an idea for the rest of the candles but I haven't finished the drawing yet.

Alan Mikkelsen
03-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Wow! Keep those ideas coming guys! I have a funeral today and have a meeting in our state capitol tomorrow, so I will probably actually start cutting wood on Thursday. Many thanks for your efforts.

Dave Richards
03-01-2005, 11:21 AM
Here. What do you think of this? I set the two end candles the same size for the bride and groom. The other nine are for the kids (did I get the number right?) and they are all the same so there's no worries about how to organize the candles.

Alan Mikkelsen
03-01-2005, 11:23 AM
Based on the feedback from this site and Knots, I've put together 4 sketches for ideas. I think I'll try to meet with the couple this afternoon to get a thumbs up or down on the ideas. Once again, thanks.

Alan Mikkelsen
03-01-2005, 11:26 AM
Dave, how did you do the design/picture for the candles? I would love to have that capacity.

Jim Dunn
03-01-2005, 11:51 AM
Alan it's got to be Sketch Up. Did I get it right Dave?

Dave Richards
03-01-2005, 12:01 PM
Right on, Jim. :cool: