PDA

View Full Version : Flap Sander

Darrin Davis
10-06-2011, 12:32 PM
I'm interested in getting a flap sander to sand corners like you would see on a wooden paddle. The corners will be rounded on the band saw and smoothed at the disc sander, then they would be profiled with a 3/8" radius round-over bit as seen in the picture. My question is: Has anyone had much experience with a flap sander and how well does the wood keep it's original shape while being sanded? Also, I'm looking at the Grizzly model as shown below. Any comments?

Yes, I am a woodshop teacher and Yes, our principals still ask for paddles to be made so that we can whip our students who need it! (just like the Good Lord intended)

Perry Holbrook
10-06-2011, 6:35 PM
Those flap sanders that are mounted to double mandrel motors actually are not the best application of a flap sander. Although they will work and can produce acceptable quality, sanding really should be done at a much lower rpm. In the area of 1000rpm or less. Same principal as sanding on the lathe, where you usually sand between 500 and 1000 rpm.

For occasional or hobby use, the other units will do the job. However, for heavier use, look at Sand Rite brush heads or Mac Mops from Klingspor and build a unit that will run at a lower rpm or variable speed if possible.

Perry

Rick Lizek
10-07-2011, 5:32 AM
The other end of the sander is a much better sanding option, the inflatable sander. You can adjust the hardness by putting less air in. Sandrite and others make drums from 3" to 9".

Gene Howe
10-07-2011, 9:07 AM
I've used this one for several years in a DP and find it quite adequate for softening edges as you describe.
Flap Sander
T (http://www.supergrit.com/products/products_woodworking-sandoflex.asp)akes up very little space and certainly inexpensive.

ed vitanovec
10-08-2011, 1:33 PM
Also look at Seyco.com website, they sell a sander used for Intarsia projects.Regards! Ed

Steven Hsieh
10-08-2011, 3:11 PM

DUAL DRUM SANDING
http://www.seyco.com/accessories.html

Mike Cruz
10-09-2011, 9:56 PM
Darren, I have that Grizzly sander, but unfortunately, I can't answer your question. I can say that the sander has some heft. I used to use a similar model at my job. So, I'm assuming this one is okay, too. One thing I specifically don't like about this model sander is that you CANNOT remove the flap sander and replace it with another drum sander...and vice versa. The two madrels are proprietary. Don't know why they did it that way, but they did. BTW, I found mine barely used for $100 on CL. Not that they come up often, but that should give you a price point if you are looking at used. Good luck.

Rick Potter
10-10-2011, 2:10 AM
I have a copy of the SandRite by Lobo tools. I got it for $100 in a divorce sale (where I made the mistake of taking my rich buddy. He got a bunch of clamps before I saw them). I have hardly used it, but I got it for my wife who wanted to try intarsia.....maybe 8 years ago. She still plans to try it.

Rick Potter

ian maybury
10-10-2011, 8:32 AM
Thanks guys - a useful little insight into some of what's available from who for contour and profile sanding....

ian

Alex Pierce
10-10-2011, 1:34 PM
The inflatable side of the sander is more what you want. I use one of flexible-foam sanders to shape and round my scroll saw intarsia. I use a sanding mop (similar to the flap sander) to lightly round over corners, smooth profiles, and finish sand scroll saw projects. With a sanding mop the RPMs need to be fairly high, around 3000.

Larry Browning
10-10-2011, 1:47 PM
I say get the flap sander, but instead of making a paddle, just stick the kid's butt up to it, no paddle needed!:D I couldn't resist!