PDA

View Full Version : Possible Rf controller problem

greg lindsey
10-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Does anyone have any sources for possibly repairing an Rf controller or at least anyone who can ck it out. Laser will fire in raster mode but will not fire in vector mode. My thoughts are leaning towards RF,which on this Epilog is a seperate unit. Any help is appreciated. $2700.00 for a new one is kinda pricey, thinking if I can find someone to repair hopefully will save a few bucks.

AL Ursich
10-06-2011, 11:28 AM
I hate to be the first poster with this but have you eliminated the possibility of a driver setting and artwork..... Since it does Raster Fire I would take a new look... Re load the drivers and make up a new vector file.... Look at the interconnects between the separate Vector Unit.

Yes, I could be wrong... but before someone chimes in something to try again or 1-303-215-9171 and ask a Tech....

Good Luck,

AL

Dan Hintz
10-06-2011, 11:45 AM
If it's fine in raster mode, the RF board is okay... I would look elsewhere.

Craig Matheny
10-06-2011, 6:17 PM
Contact Epilog tech Support they will help you figure it out if the problem is with one of their machines

greg lindsey
10-06-2011, 10:11 PM
I have been in contact with E tech support (actually several times) and the answers I'm getting is 50/50 tube or RF, in raster mode the beam burns well, in vector there is actually no output at all. So, this is why I was leaning towards the RF, if the tube fires in one mode it will fire in both, eleminating the tube being out. I once had an old summit that had the same problem, wasn't worth repairing, just got rid of it. Changing artwork didnt do anything, maybe I'll try to reload the driver, but I honestly dont think that will work either.

AL Ursich
10-10-2011, 12:24 PM
If you can gain access to the RF Board, I would look for a burnt or poor solder joint due to heat on a Capacitor. More than one person has reported blown Capacitors.

There was a story about how a company developed a new electrolyte for Capacitors and some of the employees jumped ship with the formula to another country. That country developed a line of caps but the formula was flawed... It caused over time for the cap to go bad expanding and exploding. While I was a Service Tech at Sony about 10 years ago in Philly fixing PlayStations and DVDs I had an open opportunity for after work overtime pulling known bad caps out of Computer Monitors and replacing them with known good caps..... It lasted a long time.....

Search "Bad Caps" and see the Wiki version for a fast rundown on what I posted. I don't want to post the link.

There are Thousands and Thousands of the bad caps still in use and going bad every day..... All because of GREED.....

Speaking of Greed.... Looking for a Driver Board that will work with XP for my old Summit with the oldest firmware for Win 95 if someone has one in old parts. Due to the age I don't want to invest too much in it.

AL