PDA

View Full Version : The Round Skew

Michael Mills
10-06-2011, 10:36 AM
Has anyone tried a round skew? If so, what is your opinion?

I have a 1/2” HSS bit (8" long) that I though I would grind into one. A consideration came to mind which may stop me. The normal skew has the bevel across the entire width. Grinding to about 40* (about what Lacer suggest) would yield a bevel in the center 3/4" long. However, the bevel will decrease moving to the outsides down to where it is .0” long at the point.
For planing I assume it is fine but how about for rolling beads, etc.?
Is it just something someone made up to sell tools :D, or does it have a useful purpose above a normal skew?

Bernie Weishapl
10-06-2011, 3:53 PM
Michael I have a 1/4" round skew I use for finials and small turnings. I am don't think I would want a half inch round skew myself. I do like the 1/4" one a lot. I am sure you could make one and it would work fine.

Thomas Canfield
10-06-2011, 8:36 PM
Bernie said it. I like mine, and the others in the local club like it also, but it is used for small detail work.

Harry Robinette
10-06-2011, 9:20 PM
I use a 3/8" D.Thompson round skew,I use the toe point for finial work and can roll beads and plane with it. It does seem to be sharpened on a different angle then my regular skews.I'll try to check the angles on it this weekend and send them to you ,it might help.

Jerry Wright
10-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Alan Lacer has often said, in reference to his oval skew "It is good for planting bulbs!":) Just one man's opinion, but he does know skews!

Jerry

Michael Mills
10-07-2011, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the replies.
Guess I’ll save the 1/2” stock for something else. I do have some 1/4” and 3/8” stock; maybe I’ll give the 1/4” a try.
Harry, I looked at Doug’s site and did not see the round skew so maybe he dropped them.
Jerry, yep I saw that video of Lacers also. Maybe he’s another one (like me) who just has to try something to prove it doesn’t work. :D

Glenn Barber
10-10-2011, 4:42 PM
Here are Robert Rosand's thoughts also:

http://www.rrosand.com/articles/19-3a.shtml

Good Luck,

Glenn