PDA

View Full Version : North Bro push screw= driver

Philip Duffy
10-06-2011, 5:37 AM
Picked up one the other day and all is well except that the mechanism slips when trying to tighten screws with some pressure. Is there a way to fix that problem? Help appreciated. Thanks, Phil

Mike Holbrook
10-06-2011, 8:46 AM
I have the Millers Falls models which uses a little different method for locking & reversing the direction of turn. I seem to have problems with the adjustment mechanisms wanting to jam & or no lock. Soaking, cleaning & re greasing/oiling the shaft may help. I submerge the whole adjusting mechanism in WD40, kerosene...and leave it for days, weeks but gunk still seems to come out. Krud Kutter, a degreaser available at Lowe's, is my favorite for freeing fouled mechanisms. You should be able to see if the pattern on the spiral rod is damaged in any way.

If you do not know yet, Lee Valley & Highland Woodworking carry an assortment of quick change bit adapters.

mike holden
10-06-2011, 4:26 PM
Phillip,
When you are done pushing and want to apply the final torque on the screw, move the selector to the center to lock the shaft. There will be some play, but once taken up, will be solid.
Mike

Jonathan McCullough
10-06-2011, 8:51 PM
You probably need new pawls. They're made of brass I think, and can deteriorate after a lot of hard use, like someone using a hammer on the handle. There's a pdf manual on "Breakdown and Assembly of Yankee Screwdrivers" on Stanley's customer support page. I think you need to enter "Yankee" on their FAQs search and scroll down a bit.

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?TYPE=STATICLEFT&PAGE=Support.htm&LEFT=left_support.htm

They also have repair parts available at stanleytoolparts.com.