PDA

View Full Version : Delta LA200, R.I.P. ?

Brian Brown
10-05-2011, 11:50 PM
I was so happy to have my lathe working again, but I didn't get a chance to turn anything until tonight. *I popped the new start capacitor in the housing, and started. *the motor seemed a little sluggish, low in torque, and made a little*more*noise than before. *After about two minutes of turning, the motor bogged down. *I checked the cap, and it was leaking oil, and hot enough to burn my hand. *Didn't smell too good either! * I thought the cap was defective. *Luckily, I bought 2. *I changed the cap, and started again. *The motor was quieter, and had more torque. *After about 5 minutes of turning, I stopped, and felt the cap. *It was nice and cool. *Feeling good about it I started turning again. *About 10 minutes later, the new cap exploded. *Very hot and very smelly. *:mad::mad::mad::mad:**sooooooooo......

I have 2 questions. *Does it sound like my motor is bad? *maybe a winding shorted out? *Is there anything reasonable that can be done to fix it, or do I need to replace it?

Has anybody ever tried the variable speed motor from PSI, and does it work? * Is it easy to install? *Is it worth $100.00? What method of variable speed does it use. *for that price, it doesn't seem it could have a the same type of controller like the big boys have. *Would the speed control be reliable? *Is this motor just a waste of money? **Any other advice?

Sorry, I know that was more than 2 questions.

Thanks for the help.

Roger Chandler
10-06-2011, 8:54 AM
Brian,

I would go for a motor from Leeson or Baldor..........sometimes you can pick up a Baldor for around $200.00 If you call baldor, and talk with a tech person..........they can match your motor requirements up and also the mounting........they will need the specs off the motor plate of your original.

I purchased a Baldor about 5 years ago for my bandsaw.........got it for &159.95 out of Amazon.com............you can get a catalog sent to you from the folks at Baldor........

If you have an electric motor shop in your town..........they can help you as well............that would be my first choice.