PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying block planes and hand saws

Bill Bukovec
10-05-2011, 8:30 PM
Our neighbor was cleaning out her garage and wanted to know if I wanted any tools for free.

I got two block planes.

The only markings were "Made in USA" that was cast into the body.

Are these from some generic tool maker?

The hand saws had a little more information.

Bottom one is H Disston & Sons Philidelphia. This was on thingy (looks like a button) that holds the blade to the handle.
There is no visible etching or marks on the blade.
The handle has no defects from a casual glance. Didn't look for hairline cracks yet.
I like the handle because it has the extra finger hole.
It has about 5 teeth per inch.
My thought was that this is a rip saw. Is that right?

The next saw is E C Atkins & Sons Indianapolis Ind

It also has a good handle and no etching on the blade.
It has about 8 teeth per inch.

My plan is to restore the tools. Maybe give a plane to a neighbor kid.

i would appreciate any information on these tools.

Thanks,

Bill

Greg Wease
10-05-2011, 8:38 PM
The block planes are probably made by Sargent. Take a look at the bottom of the left cheek to see if there are any numbers.

The Disston is a two-handed rip saw. You may see some etch when you clean it. Both this one and the Atkins should make good users.

Jonathan McCullough
10-05-2011, 8:40 PM
The Atkins saw looks like an Atkins 400, one of the most expensive and best saws ever made, according to many saw connoisseurs. The bottom saw is a Disston D-8 thumb hole rip saw. Guy had good taste in saws. The top plane is a cheap but effective block plane. Dime a dozen. The bottom one is a nice little Sargent-made knuckle cap block plane, earlier vintage judging by the roundness of the mechanism. Can't tell from this angle if it's a low-angle version. You got a good haul sir!

Jared McMahon
10-05-2011, 9:15 PM
Nice acquisitions indeed. If you wanted to put a rough date on the Disston, the Disstonian Institute has a page on the medallions (big buttons) that can narrow it down. And I don't know a ton about Atkins saws but I have two and neither has an etch that I can see. The first is a darn fine saw, the other I just bought and cleaned up, haven't used it yet.

For cleaning/restoring, Bob Smalser has a handful of articles over at WKFineTools. Mark at Bad Axe Tool Works also has a run-down on how he goes about refurbishing. I'm sure there are plenty others that I'm forgetting.

Bill Houghton
10-05-2011, 9:54 PM
Did you look at the top of the cutting iron? Many planes have the maker's name there. I concur the one plane looks like a Sargent; no idea on the other one. But, if they clean up well, and hold an edge, the maker matters less. Sharpening is at least 70%, often 80% of plane "tuning."

Dave Ring
10-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Sargent made a lot of those knuckle-joint block planes for Sears. I have one with a very early-looking Craftsman logo on the iron.

Jim Matthews
10-06-2011, 7:32 AM
Sharpen the saws, and teach the neighbor kid how to use one.

I had my handtool revelation, cutting with one of those "two hand" rip saws.
Why the circular saw was invented escapes me...perhaps the motorized versions are better for plywood?

Jim Koepke
10-06-2011, 1:59 PM
Before giving one of the planes away, you may want to check the blade angles. You might have one standard angle and one low angle. If this person had planes like they had saws, that would be my guess at what you have.

jtk

Bill Bukovec
10-06-2011, 9:55 PM
Thanks to all for the information.

I'm a little shocked at my good luck.

From what I can remember, my neighbor's father-in-law was a carpenter. She's almost 90, so I guess he worked from 1920 - 1940's +. He worked on "mansions" so I'm guessing he did pretty well. Maybe that explains his taste in tools.

I know there was also a level my neighbor had. That went to a family member, which it should have.

I plan to use electrolysis to remove the rust on the saws and the planes.

Is this the best way to remove the rust from the saws to preserve any etching?

Bill

Rob Harris
10-07-2011, 1:34 AM
Greg is correct. The top plane looks like a Sargent 217 or 1217 low angle block plane. The bottom plane is definitely made by Sargent, possibly from 1943-49 when they used a black nitrate finish on the lever cap. In any event, it's a model 5306 or 5307. Good finds.

Rodney Walker
10-07-2011, 1:24 PM
I like using electrolysis, but wouldn't on the saws. Take the handles off, then wet sand using a block. That way if there is any etch left on the plate, you won't destroy it. It doesn't take long to clean them that way. The planes are small enough to me that its a toss up as to which method would be best. The knuckle cap plane may not need anything more than a cleaning and sharpening. It looks to be in pretty good shape to me.
Rodney

Erik Manchester
10-07-2011, 4:06 PM
Bill,

That Atkins is a Model 401 (straight back version of the skew back No 400) and was the most expensive saw that Atkins made. If the rust isn't too deep it should clean up very nice. Get an expert to sharpen it and it will be a keeper for sure. The Brazilian rosewood handles of the 400 series are very nice, basically the Atkins version of the Disston D-15.