PDA

View Full Version : Veneer question

Jim Tobias
10-05-2011, 8:07 PM
I am flattening some English Oak burl that is a slightly more than 1/42"(maybe 1/32"?).After 2 sessions in the vacuum press with paper, it seems dry, but I wonder how long I should wait before attempting to glue it down? I don't want it to "pucker up" because it isn't completely dry. I have a fair amount of time in this process to this point, so I don't want to screw up.
Any thought or experience with slightly thicker veneers drying out after using a veneer softener??
I am going to use Unibond 800 and BB ply for the substrate.

Thanks,
Jim

Mike Henderson
10-05-2011, 8:20 PM
I go by feel. When the veneer feels dry, I use it. In the meanwhile, you can store it between a couple of pieces of plywood to keep it flat.

But if you don't think it's dry, put a sheet of paper between each piece. Kraft paper works well and comes in rolls so it's big enough for long pieces. If your pieces are small, I've used paper towels.

If you have any questions, take a piece of scrap - cut a piece off the veneer you've been drying, assuming it's long enough to have scrap - and do a test glue up. But from what you say, I'll bet it's dry.

Once you glue it, the veneer is not going to pucker - assuming your glue up is done correctly (enough glue, but not too much).

Mike

Jeff Monson
10-06-2011, 11:20 AM
I use veneer softener, then start with paper towels between the veneer and plywood, weighted down. Usually takes a couple days and 3 towel changes. When I can let it sit for a few hours and the paper towels are still dry, its go time.

Thomas S Stockton
10-06-2011, 2:43 PM
Jim
I use my vacuum press and newspaper over a couple of days. vacupressing systems has info in their forum about this and I will also send you another link via PM.
Tom

John TenEyck
10-06-2011, 2:49 PM
A moisture meter would give you a definitive answer. Just stack up a few layers of your veneer and take a reading. I have a mini-Ligno, but you can buy the one made by General for the cost of a steak, and it gets good reviews, so there's really no reason not to have one. Probably the best value tool you can buy.

Harvey Pascoe
10-06-2011, 5:58 PM
A 1/40 veneer will dry in a matter of hours. When I saw wet veneers (1/8") I put them between two sheets of cardboard under weights and overnight they will dry. Your glue imparts moisture to the veneer anyway, so this is not a critical issue. Your vacuum pump will remove any excess moisture.

Jim Tobias
10-06-2011, 6:34 PM
Thanks to all for the input.
I am moving ahead with drying in the vacuum press and will let you know how it goes after I glue it down.

Thanks again,
Jim