PDA

View Full Version : High end furniture store suggestions?

Todd Leback
10-05-2011, 7:41 PM
Couldn't find an obviously appropriate section in the forum so I thought I'd try here. I'm trying to make a living as a furniture maker and am looking to go into a limited production basis for some of my designs to wholesale to retailers. Does anyone have any suggestions for brick and mortar retail furniture stores that might be willing to carry handmade stuff? I'm producing items in the 600 to 2500 dollar price range wholesale, so about 1200 - 5000 retail. Ideally US stores. I'm already on several online stores (Artful Home, etc.) but am looking to get into some physical stores as well.

Thanks,

Todd

Montgomery Scott
10-06-2011, 11:48 PM
Our local place

http://www.nwfinewoodworking.com/

Todd Leback
10-07-2011, 9:30 AM
I'm actually looking for more retail stores as opposed to cooperatives, but thanks for the suggestion. Interestingly, there is nothing like that near where I live, or at least nothing that carries such high end items. There is an artisans gallery in Charlottesville, VA where I live, but they tend to have less expensive, more rustic type pieces. Selling a lot of jewelry and crafts but nothing "higher end". I approached them a while back and was told my pieces are way out of their price point.

Todd

Paul Grothouse
10-07-2011, 8:08 PM
Todd,

I speak from experience in this field. You need to decide what kind of furniture maker you are first. One who takes commissions or makes peices and sells them. Most high end furniture stores have no desire for the second type. If you plan on being a commission maker you will need to develop an offering of options. If you plan on making peices to then sell, then you need to contact furniture galleries not furniture stores. Also be prepared they will want pricing concessions, usually at least a 100% markup on your product, and you'd better not sell it off your website for less than their price or you are instantly done.

In additon showrooms will not take on your work without a brand established. I recomend you seriously consider doing the Philadelphia Furniture show, AD show, etc to develop your brand. Be prepared if you plan on doing these shows they are juried (your work must speak for itself or you will not be admitted) and you will be standing next to some of the best in the industry.

Those price points you want compete in are a very nice market to sell in, be prepared the competition is stiff.

Todd Leback
10-08-2011, 9:02 AM
Todd,

I speak from experience in this field. You need to decide what kind of furniture maker you are first. One who takes commissions or makes peices and sells them. Most high end furniture stores have no desire for the second type. If you plan on being a commission maker you will need to develop an offering of options. If you plan on making peices to then sell, then you need to contact furniture galleries not furniture stores. Also be prepared they will want pricing concessions, usually at least a 100% markup on your product, and you'd better not sell it off your website for less than their price or you are instantly done.

In additon showrooms will not take on your work without a brand established. I recomend you seriously consider doing the Philadelphia Furniture show, AD show, etc to develop your brand. Be prepared if you plan on doing these shows they are juried (your work must speak for itself or you will not be admitted) and you will be standing next to some of the best in the industry.

Those price points you want compete in are a very nice market to sell in, be prepared the competition is stiff.

Thanks for the advice. I figure there's no harm in sending out postcards of some of my more recent work to retailers and designers. Worst case they'll all get recycled as junk mail. Best case I might get some exposure, at least. I'm guessing that at least 75% of the postcards I mail will get thrown away, but it's worth a shot . . .
I am thinking about some of the major shows but don't think I'm quite ready for them. I am going to be part of a 4-man show up in DC this winter, so that's a start . . .

Thanks again,

Todd

David Prince
10-08-2011, 9:18 PM
Why not start your own store and keep the margin for yourself and pay someone to man the store?:rolleyes:

Doug Colombo
10-10-2011, 11:37 AM
Sent PM with store that may be interested.

Dave Ogren
10-10-2011, 12:01 PM
With regard to your direct mail. I have read and heard that a 1% return on a direct mail campaign is considered a success. Good Luck,
Dave

dave toney
10-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Todd,
Perhaps interior designers would be a helpful connection, I have done work for them when they have something in mind that they cannot find.
Dave

Belinda Barfield
10-10-2011, 3:04 PM
Todd, sent you an e-mail with a link to a design firm that may be a good fit for you.