PDA

View Full Version : Need help identifying wood

Chris Burgess
10-05-2011, 5:26 PM
Stopped at WC to rummage ther scrapts bin and ran across these 2 pieces that no one could help identify. I walked around and compared it to what they had in stock with no luck. They are dense the solid one is 3/4x5.5x6" and the broken one is 3/4x6x4.5" and they weighed in at almost 1.5 pounds. I want to cut them down to pen blanks and will but want to know what I am turning and giving away/selling. Any help will be appreciated.

Marty Eargle
10-05-2011, 5:28 PM
I may be way off but kind of reminds me of Mahogany.

Chris Burgess
10-05-2011, 5:37 PM
I actaully just got a good bit of Honduran and African Mahogany and ran to check. This wood looks brown compared to the Red of the Hog

Russell Neyman
10-05-2011, 6:17 PM
It is, without a doubt, a species known as "yagotmee."

David E Keller
10-05-2011, 7:48 PM
I'd guess it's some kind of rosewood. The grain looks a little different than the cocobolo I've had, but the coloring is similar. Most wood gets 'brown' over time with exposure to elements, so you may find more color when you actually start to cut it into pieces. If it's a rosewood, the smell is fairly pleasant and sweet.

Chris Burgess
10-05-2011, 8:01 PM
I did some more looking and I am almost wondering if I have 2 diff woods. One looks like an East Indian Rosewood and the other similar to Chechen. The Red in the pic is not what it looks like dry. It is more of a brown. I am going to trim off the sides tomorrow and smell it.

Damon Stathatos
10-05-2011, 8:06 PM
I sell a lot of cocobolo and that's my guess for your wood. You could go out into my 'stacks,' pick out a dozen different pieces, finish them out, and they will look like a dozen different woods (tone-wise). The graining is somewhat consistent but the colors can range from almost ebony-like dark to purples to reds to oranges to almost milk-chocolate brown.

When you cut it, it will take on an almost neon or florescent quality but then die back down after a couple of days oxidizing.

Whatever it is, it looks like a good find in the bargain bin !!