PDA

View Full Version : Any woodworking classes in the Los Angeles area?

Dave Aronson
10-05-2011, 3:56 PM
My friend who lives in the San Fernando Valley wants to take wood working classes. I'm not aware of anything in that area but I told him I would ask. I'm sure that someone here would know if there are any classes in that area.

Thanks for any help.

Steven Hsieh
10-05-2011, 4:11 PM
http://cms.cerritos.edu/woodworking/

Jim Matthews
10-05-2011, 4:40 PM
Is Anaheim close enough?

William Ng school (http://wnwoodworkingschool.com/)

Steven Hsieh
10-05-2011, 5:28 PM
Actually William came from Cerritos college woodworking program before opening his own school.

Mike Henderson
10-05-2011, 5:33 PM
Does he want to take semester type courses, or one day or one week type courses? For semester type courses, Cerritos is the best, but they only offer classes during the week now. The do offer "extension" classes on the weekend but the subject matter is limited and they're more expensive.

For week long courses, William Ng School is available but the classes are expensive. Woodcraft in Stanton offers one day classes on the weekends but the subject matter is limited. They don't offer furniture building courses because that takes more than a day.

Mike

Thomas S Stockton
10-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Have your friend get a copy of woodworkers west magazine I've seen it at Barnes and Noble , they have a pretty complete list of classes or they have an online site with info on subscribing www.woodwest.com
Tom

Dave Aronson
10-05-2011, 11:03 PM
I think that is too far, he is in the west Valley. He is looking for semester style classes.

Steven Hsieh
10-06-2011, 12:08 AM
I think that is too far, he is in the west Valley. He is looking for semester style classes.

Stop complaining. I know classmates in cerritos class, where they drove 3 hours to class.

Gary Curtis
10-06-2011, 12:20 AM
The third Thursday evening of each month (7 pm) is the meeting of the SF Valley Woodworking Club. At the recreation room of Balboa Park in Encino. They have a website: www.sfvalleywoodworkers.org. If that doesn't work, try .com.

Dave Aronson
10-06-2011, 12:31 AM
thanks I'll forward the info to him

Jim Matthews
10-06-2011, 7:49 AM
Stop complaining. I know classmates in cerritos class, where they drove 3 hours to class.

In the LA basin, that's what - eighteen miles?

Michael stevens
01-19-2013, 6:14 PM
There's a new Shared Woodshop in LA!
Classes will start in February.
They are located near the 2 and 5 freeway
www.CommunityWoodshopLA.com (http://www.CommunityWoodshopLA.com)

Shawn Pixley
01-19-2013, 11:58 PM
The woodcraft store in Ventura offers day classes on various topics / projects. I am taking a three day course on guitar building right now.

Otto Stott
04-20-2014, 9:35 PM
The woodcraft store in Ventura offers day classes on various topics / projects. I am taking a three day course on guitar building right now.

More information please on the Ventura classes. Contact info etc. Thanks

Bob Michaels
04-20-2014, 9:43 PM
In addition, you may want to suggest he join Sawmillcreek...one helluva woodworking education.

Loren Woirhaye
04-20-2014, 10:23 PM
Woodcraft in Ventura is closed according to Google.

Mt. Sac has some woodworking classes. It's no closer to the valley than Cerritos but maybe the classes don't fill up as fast.

Loren Woirhaye
04-20-2014, 10:31 PM
There's also this place up near Griffith Park: http://www.communitywoodshopla.com/

The Ron Swanson actor from Parks and Recreation tv show has a shop in L.A. somewhere where he lets people work. I don't know if he has formal classes, but mentoring may sort of happen here and there.

Shawn Pixley
04-20-2014, 10:57 PM
Woodcraft in Ventura is closed according to Google.

Mt. Sac has some woodworking classes. It's no closer to the valley than Cerritos but maybe the classes don't fill up as fast.

Sorry Google is wrong, it is very much open. I was in there yesterday and got a piece of Baltic birch ply. Call Bill or Wendy.

Rich Enders
04-21-2014, 12:52 AM
There is also a guy at Lake Arrowhead that does very professional wood carving and conducts one week classes. Google, or come back to me and I will provide the contact info..