PDA

View Full Version : From Planes to saws. Tashiro

Mark Singer
02-27-2005, 4:11 PM
It seems like the interest in planes is speading to saws as well...I have been getting a few questions. I though I would post the Tashiro blades and saws so that you can see what they look like...his website has no pictures! The wood handels I made using the Tashiro hardware. I like the handles a little heavier then the standard Japanese size...you can do whatever you like. The best thing is to use 3 pieces of wood and make a sandwich. The center piece is the same thickness as the blade holder...use epoxy and make sure it doesn't get in the slot! A good way to store them is to slip the paper and wrapper over the blade while it is in the handle...controls rust.

Bob Winkler
02-27-2005, 6:28 PM
Thanks for the nice pics Mark. I can't wait to get my Tashiro saws next week. I ordered handle with the blades, but definitely intend to make some handles when time permits.

Question: does a conventional bench hook work ok with the japanese saws, or is there some trick modification that works better? I can understand the great idea of the bench hook for western saws that cut on the push stroke, but don't know if the hook is still effective on the pull saws.

Thanks again, and keep the information coming for those of us who know so little about "tail-less" tools.

Bob

Mark Singer
02-27-2005, 6:54 PM
Bob,

that is a good question. You can just reverse it. I hold it in the bench dogs and tail vise and flipit around. You can also clamp a stop block to it to repeat equall cuts. Tenon cuts, I just hold in the vise. Dovetails again in the vise.

Jim Becker
02-27-2005, 8:20 PM
I can attest that Mark's handles are oh-so-comfortable in the hand. He did a wonderful job with them...even a rank Neander novice like me could tell they were top-notch!!

Mark Singer
02-28-2005, 12:17 AM
Bob,

The Japanese saw grip is 2 handed...If you are right handed, the right hand is back and under the left hand is forward and on top...off course you start with just the right hand...thumb of the left hand guides the blade.

Thanks for the nice pics Mark. I can't wait to get my Tashiro saws next week. I ordered handle with the blades, but definitely intend to make some handles when time permits.

Question: does a conventional bench hook work ok with the japanese saws, or is there some trick modification that works better? I can understand the great idea of the bench hook for western saws that cut on the push stroke, but don't know if the hook is still effective on the pull saws.

Thanks again, and keep the information coming for those of us who know so little about "tail-less" tools.

Bob