PDA

View Full Version : A traditional and a non-traditional Christmas ornament.

Betty Fox
10-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Maple and walnut finial ornament six inches. Umbrella: maple, walnut segmented with a blackwood handle three inches. I like the umbrella because it's a segmented, Christmas ornament, umbrella, and a spinning top. :)

Thom Sturgill
10-05-2011, 3:42 PM
I like the umbrella too, for the same reasons! is it hollowed? Can't tell from the photo.

Betty Fox
10-05-2011, 4:08 PM
The umbrella is hollowed out. Easiest hollowing job I've ever done. I might try a much bigger hollow form. I figured out how to hollow out that little donut on the traditional ornament and it's bound to be easier on a bigger form.
:)

Donny Lawson
10-05-2011, 4:48 PM
Nice work.,I like the umbrella top too. Do you have a eylet hole in it for hanging or is it mostly a spinning top?

Ed Morgano
10-05-2011, 5:05 PM
Nice orniments Betty. Very elegant. I have started on some too and just posted pictures.

David E Keller
10-05-2011, 7:42 PM
Nicely done, Betty! I like them both, but the little umbrella is a great idea... Lots of variations possible with that design!

Betty Fox
10-05-2011, 7:45 PM
Donny,
I haven't added an ornament hanger to the umbrella yet. I could drill a small hole in the handle. I have in mind to make a maple/bloodwood one next. Ed, I love your ornaments!!!! You got a link to the instructions for those?

Bernie Weishapl
10-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Good looking ornaments Betty. Umbrella is different and interesting.

Ed Morgano
10-05-2011, 11:42 PM
Donny,
I haven't added an ornament hanger to the umbrella yet. I could drill a small hole in the handle. I have in mind to make a maple/bloodwood one next. Ed, I love your ornaments!!!! You got a link to the instructions for those?

Betty,
This is a post I did on another forum with pictures. I used 3" turning stock cut to 4" long. I turned a tenon on one end and turned them round. Then I chucked on the tenon and cut the outside shapes. After that, I used my articulated arm to hollow them to about 1/8" thick. Hope that helps. http://woodturnersamerica.com/forum/index.php?f=4&t=1157&rb_v=viewtopic

Betty Fox
10-06-2011, 8:41 AM
Ed,
Every small ornament I turn seems to want to be an egg. I really have to concentrate to make any other shape. :) You don't, by any chance know how to make those cute little ornament bird houses do you? Those would make excellent gifts for the family.
Betty