PDA

View Full Version : Looking for tips on formica

John Barrios
10-05-2011, 11:00 AM
New to lasers and the creek. Tried formica and seems to raster well, but hard to cut and flares alot. Any tips or concerns with formica?
thanks,

Mike Chance in Iowa
10-05-2011, 1:39 PM
Welcome to the creek John. Look in the top right hand of your browser and you'll find the Advanced Search link. You'll find several discussions about formica.

John Barrios
10-05-2011, 6:11 PM
Will do, thanks Mike.

Richard Rumancik
10-05-2011, 10:21 PM
It will often flare when cut; it will also leave charcoal on the edges. It may require more than 1 pass depending on the laser but the problem with that is that the second pass will flare even more due to the carbon left on the first pass. On rectangular shapes I usually smooth the edge off with sandpaper (stuck on a piece of granite). That removes most of the carbon residue as well. Then you can clean the rest with soap and water.

Anthony Welch
10-06-2011, 7:44 PM
I use it to make my business cards. As stated it rasters fine, but snaps, crackles and pops when cut. It does leave a nasty charcoal edge to the cuts. So your vector cuts need to be smooth where you can sand them. I've also rastered photos that turn out pretty good. I fill it with shoe black shoe polish. Makes it look like a charcoal drawing.

Anthony