PDA

View Full Version : Question on use of liming or patinating waxes

Gary Sichmeller
10-05-2011, 9:38 AM
I have seen some turners use these with great effect in highlighting the grain in their turned pieces. I got my hands on some ash and would like to try bleaching or ebonizing the piece and then use the liming or patinating wax to pop the grain. My question is this: At what point do you apply the wax? Do you put the finish on and apply the wax? If so, will the finish keep the wax from clinging to the grain pores? If the wax is applied before the finish, will the final finish have problems sticking because of the wax?

John Beaver
10-05-2011, 11:13 AM
Apply the wax to the bare (or dyed/ebonized) wood. Rub it down and let dry. Cover that with a coat of dewaxed shellac, then apply your finish. If you're using lacquer I think you can avoid the shellac. You can also just add a hard finishing wax over the liming wax and call it a day.

Vernon Oberle
10-05-2011, 1:52 PM
They also use a brass brush to open the pores to let the wax go in better. I have done this with bare wood but have not used color afterward

Jamie Donaldson
10-05-2011, 5:53 PM
When using liming wax, the turning should first receive a sealing coat of sanding sealer or similar sealer, I use lacquer, or else the wax will smear all over the surface. You want the wax to penetrate into only the pores of the wood, not smudge all over the surface and have to be removed with a solvent.

Gary Sichmeller
10-06-2011, 8:30 AM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate taking your time to answer my questions. You saved me from having to learn from my mistakes. Thanks again.