PDA

View Full Version : Wish I were artistic.....

Steve Clarkson
10-05-2011, 6:21 AM
Ran across this guy's website today.......looks like he is asking $2,500 for one.

mitchellmcgee.com

He must have a pretty big laser bed though.

Rich Harman
10-05-2011, 6:32 AM
He shows a picture of a scroll saw on the "Contact" page.

Dee Gallo
10-05-2011, 8:47 AM
Oh Steve, nothing special about this guy's work, as nice as it is. He simply took other people's art and made those pieces based on it. And for that matter, people like Lichtenstein used OTHER people's art to base HIS work on... so it's all graphic art recycling. The Pop Art movement was all about copyright infringement if you ask me... If you thought about it, you could take any vector image and do laser-art with it. Finding the market for it is the real "art".

Get busy!

:) dee

Lee DeRaud
10-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Oh Steve, nothing special about this guy's work, as nice as it is...
Finding the market for it is the real "art".+1, although I'm a bit less enthusiastic on the "as nice as it is" part.

I seem to see a lot of pseudo-art in galleries these days that I wouldn't pay $100 for, much less the $1000 or $10000 that shows up on the price tag...my first reaction is usually, "People pay for this stuff?" In that context, this fits right in.

Michael Kowalczyk
10-05-2011, 1:17 PM
Steve, You can get a paint by numbers book and scan it, then vectorize it, make a transparency of your final artwork for an overhead projector for large scale placement purposes and then laser away. layout parts using overhead projector (if needed) and then Color appropriate areas and walaa.

Dover has plenty Books, CD's and DVD's of royalty free artwork.

Like Dee said finding the customers to buy it is an art now.

Joe Pelonio
10-05-2011, 2:30 PM
Steve, You can get a paint by numbers book and scan it, then vectorize it, make a transparency of your final artwork for an overhead projector for large scale placement purposes and then laser away. layout parts using overhead projector (if needed) and then Color appropriate areas and walaa.

Dover has plenty Books, CD's and DVD's of royalty free artwork.

Like Dee said finding the customers to buy it is an art now.
Here we go again with the copyright issue. Dover art is copyrighted, and for personal use only. I wrote and got permission to use it commercially but am limited to 10 items from each drawing.

Michael Kowalczyk
10-06-2011, 7:30 PM
Well Joe,
I respectfully disagree. You know how 2 people can be on opposite corners and witness the same accident yet have two different descriptions of what happened? Well I am going to try and put us on the same page and see how that works. I have enclosed a photo of the copyright/ royalty free info from the inside cover of one of my Dover books. When I read it, I get a different interpretation than you. The words "no more than ten in the same publication or project" does not mean you can only make 10 items, IMHO, it means you can not have more than 10 items, from Dover, in that project.

After reading the Dover permission text again do you have a different perspective?

Any one else?

Joe if you have read any of my other posts in regards to copyright violation and the casual sharing of copyrighted clip art here, you would see I take a strong stance on would be violators. I currently hold 2 US Patents and I know what it takes to constantly watch for people willfully infringing on them and having to send out C & D's. So I don't take this lightly but I do take peoples words for what they mean.

If I am wrong, I would be the 1st to admit it but I would have my Attorney look at it first before having to eat any crow.:eek:

Thanks and ...

Andrea Weissenseel
10-10-2011, 4:46 AM
The words "no more than ten in the same publication or project" does not mean you can only make 10 items, IMHO, it means you can not have more than 10 items, from Dover, in that project.

That's what Dover told me also, no more than 10 Dover images in one project. But Joe is also right, not all Dover books have this statement and you have to ask for permission.

Michael Kowalczyk
10-10-2011, 3:20 PM
Thanks Andrea for shedding a little light.

Hey Joe here's one of those instances where people can respectfully disagree and both still be correct;).

So the moral to this post, IMHO, is "READ YOUR BOOK's INSIDE COVER or YOUR LICENSE AGREEMENT"

Chuck Stone
10-10-2011, 5:33 PM
wonder if this is a similar copyright violation :p
but it's a gift for someone who sells the products,
so I don't know..209786

We used to be able to use images for advertising in house, but had to get
approval for publication. I think they have something similar, but I didn't
feel right charging anything. If they get more (and permission) that's another
story.
I just cut the pieces out of ply and glued them down. Interesting images in
the series.. sorta like the Gibson Girls meets the Jetsons

Gary Lyben
10-11-2011, 1:45 AM
I read his about page, he didn't mention a laser.

Here's some real interesting earrings with gold leaf.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/67106908/24-karat-gold-leafed-cherry-wood

Best regards,

Gary

David Fairfield
10-11-2011, 9:19 AM
I like his laser cut boxes for the earrings. Nice thing about selling upscale, the per-item price is high enough for the seller to add these little flourishes.

Lee DeRaud
10-11-2011, 10:26 AM
I like his laser cut boxes for the earrings. Nice thing about selling upscale, the per-item price is high enough for the seller to add these little flourishes.These may be considered "upscale" by Etsy standards, but that says a lot more about Etsy (and maybe the economy) than it does about his work.

IMHO they are underpriced by a factor of 2.