PDA

View Full Version : Is this a fault?

Bob Davis
10-05-2011, 4:57 AM
Two 60 x 40mm Flexibrass plates engraved in the same job at the same time at 600dpi. The one on the left had the image rotated 90 degrees. My understanding is that the plates should be identical as the laser will use 600dpi for both axis.
As can be seen, there are missing (thin) areas in the text and the serifs are almost non-existent on the rotated plate. This would indicate to me that quite thin lines in the Y axis are not causing the laser to fire as it should.
Any ideas?

PS - Oops! - It's an Epilog Helix 45W

Rodne Gold
10-05-2011, 7:45 AM
The problem would go away if you could make the Y axis on the rotated one act like the X axis , ie scan back and forth on Y and jump to the next line on X.
You would most likely also get better results if you had the laser firing only one direction (the way you do things currently) or if your laser has a "tuning" type function (a way of matching the start and end points of lines when using bidirectional engraving , ie engrave on the right stroke and then also engraves when the head returns on the leftward stroke) and you adjusted the backlash using tuning to be as good as you can get.

Scott Shepherd
10-05-2011, 8:09 AM
+1 on a tuning issue. That's the standard way things happen in my opinion. If you can tune it, it will go away. I didn't see your laser model listed, so I'm not sure if you can or can't on your model.

On the Universals, it would be under "Image Enhancement". Turn it on and adjust the settings.