PDA

View Full Version : Debris traps in an automotive cooling system?

Stephen Tashiro
10-04-2011, 11:41 PM
Where are the places in an automotive cooling system that are designed to trap debris?

In oil circulation, the bottom of the oil pan can collect it, there is a screen on the oil pick-up and there is an oil filter. Is there some sort of reservoir in an auto radiator that would let heavy debris settle? Or is the cooling system designed on the assumption that there will hardly been any debris in the coolant?

Dan Hintz
10-05-2011, 7:17 AM
I'm not aware of any screening done, but then again I'm only a shadetree mechanic. The only large stuff I can think of that would appear in the stream would be hard water deposits (poor choice of top-off water) and rust. The smallest passage in the block should be large enough to handle sand-sized particles (and a bit bigger) without a problem. If you're at that point in the game where the particles are pea-sized and up (rust), it may be time to replace the system.

Joe Angrisani
10-05-2011, 8:18 AM
Nope. There should be no heavy debris in your cooling system (the solids in your oil pan come from the combustion process). If there is debris in your coolant system, you are guilty of severe lack of maintenance over the long haul.

Dave Ogren
10-05-2011, 11:24 AM
My diesel is an 8.9 L Cummings and it has a filter. The filter serves two purposes, 1 to filter the debris out and 2 to add a small amount of alkali to keep the anti freeze from turning to acid. I have looked a little to see if there is an aftermarket system for my gas vehicles but so far have not found one. Not sure, but I think this is much more critical in diesels. Good Luck

Dave

Dan Hintz
10-05-2011, 1:50 PM
EG is pretty stable stuff to begin with... don't current formulas typically have a fairly high reserve of alkalinity?

Larry Edgerton
10-05-2011, 7:38 PM
A lot of the heavy equipment I have had has a filter as does my current tractor, again a diesel. All of the coolant does not go through the filter, but rather it is a loop much like a heater loop that just filters part of the water as it circulates.

Considering that radiators do plug up, it may not be a bad idea on a car, but it is not a necessity, nor a big selling feature, so I doubt they will put them on cars.

I am not sure if acidity builds up in gas motors like it does diesels, but there are a lot of Ford/Cornbinder diesels that died a premature death because the acidity ate a hole through the cylinder wall.

I always added a remote transmission filter on my tow rigs so I could change out the tranny filter without pulling the pan. changed just the filter every time I changed the oil. Had no tranny trouble pulling a 14,000# race trailor all over the country, and it brought the temps down a bit as a bonus.

Larry

Stephen Tashiro
10-05-2011, 9:00 PM
I don't have a problem with the coolant system in my cars. However, I'm replacing a water pump and it makes me aware of the possibility that bits of silcone sealant and other foreign objects can get transported into the radiator. It seems to me that a rather coarse screen filter would catch that debris.

ray hampton
10-05-2011, 10:12 PM
I don't have a problem with the coolant system in my cars. However, I'm replacing a water pump and it makes me aware of the possibility that bits of silcone sealant and other foreign objects can get transported into the radiator. It seems to me that a rather coarse screen filter would catch that debris.

consider how much radiators costs today a filter might not be a bad idea

Rod Sheridan
10-06-2011, 10:53 AM
The most important thing you can do for your cooling system is to replace the coolant on schedule. This means that for conventional coolant, replace it, the hoses and thermostats at 3 years.

Long life coolant is available, it lasts 6 years before being changed. We use it on large engines, as the coolant quantity can be in the 200 to 300 litre range so the cost savings is substantial.

Not replacing the coolant on schedule is poor economy, the corrosion inhibitors have been consumed, and now your cooling system parts are being chemically/electrically destroyed, and converted into the byproducts that plug your cooling system.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. Only use distilled water to mix with the concentrated coolant.

Dave Ogren
10-06-2011, 12:23 PM
I have read and been told by experts to change the coolant every 5 years. The use of distilled water is the ultimate method, but I have been told by the diesel manufacturers that is is a little over the top, but a good idea if money is not a part of the equation. But the five year change is a must on a diesel. Another choice is to use litmus paper to check on the ph. I just change the filter every year.

Dave

Cyrus Brewster 7
10-06-2011, 11:15 PM
+1 on changing coolant at regular intervals. Most people I know do not do this and are dumbfounded when something in their vehicle's coolant system fails.

Regularly checking the coolant between changes is also important - especially on older vehicles. Not only the pH level, but also looking for signs of substances that should not be there and the coolant level itself. For instance, if a little bit of oil is present, you could have a possible head gasket problem, that if caught in time, could spare you some some serious damage and money.

Ron Jones near Indy
10-06-2011, 11:27 PM
A lot of the heavy equipment I have had has a filter as does my current tractor, again a diesel. All of the coolant does not go through the filter, but rather it is a loop much like a heater loop that just filters part of the water as it circulates.

Considering that radiators do plug up, it may not be a bad idea on a car, but it is not a necessity, nor a big selling feature, so I doubt they will put them on cars.

I am not sure if acidity builds up in gas motors like it does diesels, but there are a lot of Ford/Cornbinder diesels that died a premature death because the acidity ate a hole through the cylinder wall.

I always added a remote transmission filter on my tow rigs so I could change out the tranny filter without pulling the pan. changed just the filter every time I changed the oil. Had no tranny trouble pulling a 14,000# race trailor all over the country, and it brought the temps down a bit as a bonus.

Larry

I'm sure it does--my mechanic determines when to change coolant by Ph of the coolant, if it is otherwise clean and acceptable.

Ole Anderson
10-07-2011, 8:46 AM
So what do you do with your used coolant? It is not real friendly stuff. Tree huggers want you to recycle old coolant by putting it back in your engine or recycling it. Kind of defeats the purpose. Google "antifreeze disposal" and see what you get. Right now I have 3 gallons in my garage, the green stuff, and my 5.3 engine (swapping it into my Jeep) that needs it uses the orange stuff. What to do. It is not going into my toilet as I'm on a septic system. Seems to my that as long as the pH stays in check, keep using it, particularly if you have a filter, which most don't. But what is an allowable pH range?

I presume the "heavy metal" build up is from the wear your cylinders and bearings get.

Dave Lehnert
10-07-2011, 12:11 PM
Just checked the local auto parts store. $25 for coolant test strips (the cheap set). Just went ahead and replaced the fluid.

Dave Ogren
10-07-2011, 1:13 PM
About coolant disposal. I called the local MSD and they told me to just pour it into the drain and it would be treated at the plant. I am also on a septic so I took it to a place on the MSD system and poured it in.