PDA

View Full Version : Resawing in small shop

Regis Galbach
10-04-2011, 8:35 PM
Getting back into wood and getting set up. I won't be making anything large. Other than a pretty good TS, I have to rely on table top tools. Have gotten some good advice here on jointer and soon to be planer. Then, after reading all the taboos here on using a TS for resawing, I drug out and dusted off my small Delta BS. Tuned it up and put on new blade (6tpi 3/8 X 59 1/2) and it works ok for now on boards less than 3 3/4". That helps for some boxes but, I'd like more height.

Couple questions:

Would I see any difference with 4tpi blade (speed or blade life)?

Is there a table top BS more suitable to resawing?

Thanks,
Regis

Matt Kestenbaum
10-04-2011, 9:25 PM
Regis,

I have the Rikon Euro style stationary model, which is pretty good at re-sawing. I have noticed on their website that they have a few smaller models including a 10" bench top model with 4 5/8" resaw and a 12" tool-stand model with 7 1/2" of resaw. If you are close to a Woodcraft store you might actually be able to go try one out?

Regis Galbach
10-04-2011, 9:56 PM
That Rikon really looks good. And there is a Woodcraft about 30 miles from me. I like that it takes 1/2" blade which makes me think I could get a little more stability. Being able to resaw 4 1/2 inches would open up my box making about all I want. Guess my delta will be going on CL tomorrow after I go to Woodcraft. And after I got it all tuned up.

Thank you,
Regis