PDA

View Full Version : Australian Bottle Tree update

Jim Colombo
10-04-2011, 1:21 PM
This wood is EXTREMELY soft. So soft I could hardly keep the stebcenter from rotating, even with the lightest of cuts. The end grain has a tremendous amount of tear out. It would be impossible to get it smooth. I gave up on the end grain after trying for half an hour of tool sharpening and Grumbine vertical shear cuts. Even though it didn't work out it was at least worth a try.

Chris Burgess
10-04-2011, 1:23 PM
I had that same experience trying to turn a cypress knee. I wonder if you alowed it to dry for a few years if that would help. Maybe but too wet.

curtis rosche
10-04-2011, 1:40 PM
soak in glue mixed with DNA?

Dan Hintz
10-05-2011, 7:31 AM
I would try a quick glue soak when you're ready to smooth things out. You may be surprised...

Jim Colombo
10-05-2011, 9:26 AM
what is a "glue soak"?

Dan Hintz
10-05-2011, 9:41 AM
what is a "glue soak"?
If it's a small piece, pour some CA glue on it. If it's a larger piece, dunk the piece in a 50/50 white glue/water mixture, let it soak (10 minutes if it's finish turning, a few days if it's a roughout), let dry, then finish turning. It solves the never-ending end-grain lift issue.

Bernie Weishapl
10-05-2011, 10:23 AM
I agree with Dan. I also will mix epoxy with DNA (denatured alcohol) to a consistancy of milk and soak the tenon. I let it dry for 24 hrs and it holds quite well.

Dan Hintz
10-05-2011, 10:38 AM
I also will mix epoxy with DNA (denatured alcohol) to a consistancy of milk and soak the tenon. I let it dry for 24 hrs and it holds quite well.
Never tried that... do you thin down one part and add the hardener when you're ready to dunk?