PDA

View Full Version : It Has Been Busy But Fun Lately

Dick Wilson
10-04-2011, 10:18 AM
I just attended my first symposium - OVWS. I had a marvelous time meeting as many Creekers as possible. John K didn't even get on my case about my messy shop. Jamie D. and John L. tried to explain photography to me and I immediately looked like a deer in the headlights. Sadly I didn't get a chance to meet all the Creekers that were there. I thought that a sign around my neck would work - Not. Alan Z., Harry R. and others added much to my experience. I hope to see many of you in Chicago next year.

Before the symposium and after I have spent as much time as possible at my display at Art Prize in Grand Rapids. Event runs from Sept 22nd to Oct 9th. It is an international art competition consisting of 1,600 artists in 200 venues (businesses in the downtown area). I was fortunate enough to be invited to be in my venue. I have had a lot of fun talking to the public about woodturning, how do I do that, etc. A nice little gloat is the fact that I have sold 2 of my 3 pieces:D:D209117

My display is on the second floor of a bank. Many overhead lights coupled with natural light coming through window front and back make taking a picture of my display impossible with my camera. Be gentle Jamie:o.

Jamie Donaldson
10-04-2011, 2:37 PM
Well Dick, congrats on the display and sales, but I don't have a clue what that color balance could be, but it sure is blue! I couldn't even come close to correcting anything but the wood, and the usual solution would be to use a flash, but the plexiglass surround pretty much eliminates that option?

Tim Rinehart
10-04-2011, 2:40 PM
Absolutely...congrats Dick. That's awesome and an honor to have items displayed like that. Excellent pieces selected, I really like the one "running out of time", that was too clever on your part! Probably one of my favorites of yours.

Dick Wilson
10-04-2011, 3:05 PM
Well Dick, congrats on the display and sales, but I don't have a clue what that color balance could be, but it sure is blue! I couldn't even come close to correcting anything but the wood, and the usual solution would be to use a flash, but the plexiglass surround pretty much eliminates that option? There was crazy lighting in the room with sunshine coming in from the front and back:(. Lots of people taking picures. Hope theirs come out a lot better than mine.

Dick Wilson
10-04-2011, 3:06 PM
Absolutely...congrats Dick. That's awesome and an honor to have items displayed like that. Excellent pieces selected, I really like the one "running out of time", that was too clever on your part! Probably one of my favorites of yours. "Time Escapes Everyone" is one of the pieces sold

Tim Rinehart
10-04-2011, 3:09 PM
"Time Escapes Everyone" is one of the pieces sold
Apologies for mis-stating title of piece. Not surprised that sold, and quickly if so.

Harry Robinette
10-04-2011, 8:33 PM
Dick
Really nice display and what an honor to be ask thats outstanding. Really enjoyed talking with you at the symposium I'm sure we'll run into each other again.