PDA

View Full Version : Mirror Acrylic , what to do with it??

Rodne Gold
10-04-2011, 4:29 AM
I have imported round about 200 4ft x 6ft sheets of acrylic mirror, cast , 1.5 to 2.5mm thickness (1/16th to 1/10")
I have various colours , a dark and light blue , gold and silver , pink , purple , green , red , bronze and black.
I loved the colours but imported the stuff without any idea of what I'm gonna use it for. Cost is round $1 a sq ft.

I have some ideas but am asking if anyone else has some stuff to add.
The material is fairly outdoors proof , the issue is that over time the backing coating degrades a bit , but I can back with vinyl for extreme duty usage.

Here are my ideas
1) Acrylic jewellery like earrings , pendants , nacklaces ,, bracelets
2) Point of Sale items
3) Trophy plates (reverse engraved and colour filled)
4) Signage - especially combined with other materials
5) Promotional items , bent items, coasters, keytags etc
6) unbreakable mirrors , in shower hand held mirror, kiddie toy mirrors , cot mobiles etc
7) Car decals and badges
8) Badges
9) Baseplates for custom acrylic awards
10) Mirror/colour accents on my custom acrylic awards
11) Bar mirrors/advertising mirors
12) Clock faces, clock numerals
13) Cosmetic displays
14) Mosiac tiles
15) Tea candle lights
16) inserts for wreaths and medals
17) Fridge magnet line
18) mobile phone charms
19) Lighting applications , shades , refractors etc
20) Fascia panels for hifi, instruments etc
Any other suggestions?

lee chitwood
10-04-2011, 8:25 AM
Rodne,
Lots of interest here in car tags for the front of vehicle...Georgia doesn't require a front tag. You may have to laminate for thickness. Some tags are laser cut and inlayed, some have sign vinyl. Just saying....

Ken Shea
10-04-2011, 9:21 AM
Start a buyers group :D

Joe Pelonio
10-04-2011, 9:29 AM
For signs, laser cut mirror lettering on a black background makes a very dramatic effect and fetches a good price. Make up a small sample to show potential customers. I have done a few for an upscale spa.

Doug Griffith
10-04-2011, 10:57 AM
You've got the right colors for Christmas ornaments.

Kenneth Hertzog
10-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Rodney
I've reversed engraved acrylic mirror and used it in jewelery box applications
as well as some signs
Ken

James Rambo
10-04-2011, 6:17 PM
I have seen on the creek wedding/birthday cake toppers

Mike Berndt
10-04-2011, 7:15 PM
Are you interested in selling some??

Rodne Gold
10-04-2011, 10:44 PM
The red and the green I have are not Xmas colours , the original MOQ was 100 sheets per colour with a minimum of 500 sheets , to get my stock I had to accept "bits" of what was on hand and the deep red and deep green was out of stock , my Red is more pink and the green is a sort of lime green. I only got the small qty cos along with the mirror I ordered 5 tons of acrylic sheeting.
I don't really have the stock to sell on however , some colours I only have 10 or 20 sheets of and of course , I am in South africa which makes transport anywhere a killer. It's pretty busy right now , our "trophy" season starts mid sept and continues to year end so there isnt that much time to experiment and mess with samples albeit I cut some lettering out of pink and purple mirror *to fit into the CORVETTE logo indented in the back of my c4* and it looks stunning.

Keith Outten
10-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Gold Mirror on black acrylic on cherry plaque.

Martin Boekers
10-05-2011, 1:13 PM
Nice work Kieth! We sometimes forget about layering.

Keith Outten
10-06-2011, 6:29 AM
Thanks Martin,

I made a bunch of these signs for conference rooms. They were real quick to make and very inexpensive.
We have been making some large oval signs lately that have vcarved text that we gold leaf. I wish now that I had inlayed gold mirror rather than using gold leaf because of the increased time it takes.

Kevin Huffman
10-06-2011, 2:39 PM
Why not make license plates?

Do an engraving on the back (reversed of course), once through the mirrored part, spray paint the whole backside.