PDA

View Full Version : Extension Tables For Table Saw / Permanent / Portable/ Wheels?

richard poitras
10-03-2011, 9:13 PM
What are you using for your extension tables on your table saws? Currently I have a permanent one mounted on the back of my cabinet saw. (Works great) But I have been thinking about going smaller for room and portability? Also I cut up most of my sheet stock with a track saw system. I have seen some posted that fold down (but those seem that they can only be about 30’’ long before they hit the floor) and some on wheels that act as a secondary use. If I were to make one as a mobile base what would be your best recommendations? I was thinking about maybe doing something on wheels and have storage underneath. But one concern I have is if it is on wheels (even with locking casters) would the extension table move while you push the wood thru and possible create a kick back from the table moving to one side? And if moved to another location how you would keep it on the level side and lined up on an uneven cement floor and possibly different height machines. Then there is the miter slots as well that you need to deal with. Any and all pictures and ideas for extension tables would be appreciated.

Thanks Richard

Trent Shirley
10-03-2011, 9:28 PM
Typically the outfeed extension would be attached to the back of the saw in a level position. You may have to adjust the legs if you move to a new spot on an uneven floor but the edge connected to the saw would remain in line with the table top.
You can make a fold up extension and yes you would be somewhat limited in length but remember that you can have a fixed amount sticking straight off the back of the saw before you have the hinged section that folds up/down. There is only so far you can go and still keep the portability you mentioned though. Many people build a work bench at the same height of the table saw so it can act as an outfeed extension or even be placed at the end of the outfeed extension when needed.
If you wanted to be creative you make a bi-fold extension with a locking member underneath so you get double height of table to floor in the length of your extension.
Since you said you do most of your panel cutting with a track saw anyway then you would not be cutting extremely wide and long pieces off your saw. You could make a single fold up extension with a slide out work support underneath that nearly doubles your material support in length and only pull it out when you need it.
Lots of options, you just have to decide on how you will use it and what solution will work best for you.

Von Bickley
10-03-2011, 9:37 PM
My outfeed table is approximately 4' wide and 6.5' long. I like the size because it also serves as an assembly table.

Ron Natalie
10-04-2011, 5:04 PM
I have the wide side table (attached to the fence rails) and an outfeed table on my saw. While they have non rolling feet, the wheels on the main saw raise the entire saw and these come up off the floor enough to move the saw around.

Randy Dutkiewicz
10-04-2011, 8:48 PM
Here's mine. Like Trent said, I have a small section that is permanently mounted to the rear fence and then about a 30" section that folds up/down as needed. It has worked very well for my needs. Plus, if I "did" need more outfeed space, then I have my workbench that compliments the folding part of the outfeed - but I've never needed that much outfeed before.

Roger Jensen
10-04-2011, 9:00 PM
Here is my outfeed table on my SS. As others have mentioned, I have a fixed component that is about 12 inches deep. The part that folds down is the exact height of the drop, so it helps maintain strength of the fixed extension (does that make sense?). I used some fold-out leg hardware from LeeValley.

Roger

Larry Edgerton
10-05-2011, 7:16 AM
Richard

I have a bench that is on wheels that has a top that is 7'6" x 4'3" that is an 1/8" below the tablesaw and shaper. It has a steel subframe and a steel stiffback in the middle between the drawers so that I can use it to assemble doors and know that it is straight.

I like the big bench, gives me lots of room to push rips behind the fence as I make parts, and when I am done I can just wheel it to the next machine with the parts on it, so less lifting. The long bench works for me as I rip a lot of long stock. I can rip 18' goods with no problem with this setup.

About 5' behind my main saw I have a fixed bench that works as an infeed support but still allows room to move and feed the saw. I have a bridge that I can drop into place from this bench to the saw fence to provide support when needed on the infeed side.

If you have the room a big wheeled bench is nice. I don't like to do any work on the tablesaw because I feel it will affect adjustments so a fixed outfeed would take up room and be of no use to me.

I am going to have to figure out a new system as my new shop is a third of the size, but my main bench will be a part of it that does not change.

My 2 cents......

Larry

Joe Angrisani
10-05-2011, 8:22 AM
My outfeed table is a second heavy workbench. As wide as the saw and side extension table, and 30" deep.

Cary Falk
10-05-2011, 9:29 AM
Here is what I had on my Unisaw. The saw was on a mobile base and I want to move everything together.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0001.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0004-1.jpg

Trent Shirley
10-05-2011, 10:35 AM
For my own use I was planning on building a bench top attached to the back of the table saw using it as a combination work bench outfeed table but as I think on it I would like to have 360deg access to the work bench so I might make the bench separate and have a small bridge outfeed attached to the saw that would bridge the gap between saw and table when needed. Most of the time I do not need so much outfeed support so 24-30" of space between saw and table would work well and a flip up outfeed bridge would be nice.

scott spencer
10-05-2011, 11:01 AM
My workbench doubles as an outfeed table. I have a short filler board mating the saw and workbench.

David Hostetler
10-05-2011, 12:52 PM
I have a wide table on my saw (extension wing whatever, between the fence rails) that gives me 60" right cut capacity. I have my router table in there. For outfeed my workbench serves that function...

I am in the middle of a design project to build a mobile cabinet / workstation for the TS / router wing. The current stand needlessly eats up valuable storage space in my workshop. I would like to be able to store my table saw accessories somewhere silly, like near the table saw...

Justin Chen
10-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Do you have more photos and larger photos? I'd like to do something similar to that set-up. How did you attach it to the rear angle iron?

Cary Falk
10-06-2011, 2:25 AM
Do you have more photos and larger photos? I'd like to do something similar to that set-up. How did you attach it to the rear angle iron?

I don't have the saw anynmore. Those were the only pictures I had. The outfeed table was attached to the rear angle iron by three 4" hinges. I shimmed between the hinges and angle iron to tweek the height.

HANK METZ
10-06-2011, 3:16 AM
Here's mine, portable as seen. I rip more than crosscut (I use a radial mostly), so this setup suits my needs. It is independent of slope, pitch or roll thanks to the platform used as the base, and self- supports stock to 72" long. best part is it sets up/ knocks down in less than 2 minutes, and I reuse the platform for similar workstation configurations like router table, benchtop drill press, etc. Best $20 I ever spent.

- Beachside Hank

Joe Von Kaenel
10-06-2011, 12:51 PM
I built one that uses wheels and share the footprint of my tablesaw. I roll it out and pull the wheels up, then it is a stationary outfeed table.

Joe209298209299

Steven J Corpstein
10-06-2011, 7:16 PM
Here are some pictures of how I tackled both portable and big enough on my saw.

http://www.datasystemsltd.com/extension

Myk Rian
10-06-2011, 7:18 PM
But one concern I have is if it is on wheels (even with locking casters) would the extension table move while you push the wood thru and possible create a kick back from the table moving to one side?
Not if you used hasps, or some other means to clip the table to the saw.
You could even use locating pins to get it to the same position each time.

Larry Edgerton
10-06-2011, 7:27 PM
Mine weighs in easily at over 2000 pounds loaded, so rolling is no a problem.

richard poitras
10-07-2011, 8:16 PM
Thanks for all the great replies. I like the idea of the short fixed out feed to handle the miter gauge. I am still on the fence as in a fold up extension or a wheeled cabinet. I am thinking more on the lines of a cabinet with wheels do to the fact I think it would be lowed up from within so I don’t think it would move much with locking casers and it is easily moved around for different usages.
Also in using an adjustment for the top something link Jim O'Dell (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?1735-Jim-O-Dell) used on his table saw I think it would work for leveling it out at different machines if needed.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=207267&d=1279382737&thumb=1 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=207267&d=1315625319)

Thomas Canfield
10-07-2011, 9:23 PM
My outfeed table on contractor saw is made of 3/4" Melamine MDF with a 1x2 on edge frame. It has folding legs on the side away from the saw, and the frame sits on the angle iron support for my Beisemeyer fence. There are hanger bolts set into the frame and these fit holes drilled in the angle iron to locate. Slots were routed into the MDF for the miter gage bar, with the underside of the MDF stiffened due to the weaked section. It is about 48" wide by 36" deep. It can be removed to have more access to motor or reduce foot print for space.

Mats Bengtsson
10-08-2011, 6:38 AM
Thanks for all the great replies. I like the idea of the short fixed out feed to handle the miter gauge. I am still on the fence as in a fold up extension or a wheeled cabinet. I am thinking more on the lines of a cabinet with wheels do to the fact I think it would be lowed up from within so I don’t think it would move much with locking casers and it is easily moved around for different usages.
Also in using an adjustment for the top something link Jim O'Dell (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?1735-Jim-O-Dell) used on his table saw I think it would work for leveling it out at different machines if needed.

For in and outfeed, I have found that I do not need specially accurate alignments, so I use cheap roller support stands instead of a fixed table (I have a portable bench in same hight as the table saw, but I have found I do not view it as worth the effort to use it with the saw). The side extension is more crucial, so although removable, it ismore or less always mounted on the table.

--- Mats ---

Dan Rude
10-09-2011, 12:23 AM
I purchased this hardware kit at Rockler http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=5719&max=999. It works pretty good, I just lift it off the my saw and fold the legs down. (The leg hardware is the only thing that I don't like.) I made it out of MDF and put some ribbing under it. I'm thinking of building it into a small torsion box and improve the leg design.

Dan

Mike Cutler
10-09-2011, 9:47 AM
The outfeed table for my tablesaw is another tablesaw ( Jet Contractor). Both are on mobil bases and can be moved to suit.

On the surface I know it sounds like an extravagant, expensive solution. However a used working contractor saw can be purchased for less $$ than the materials required to build a good outfeed table, depending on materials.

Hank
I love that saw setup you have. It's perfect for some major house remodels I have planned.
Thanks