PDA

View Full Version : Foot shape

Faust M. Ruggiero
10-03-2011, 8:05 PM
I don't normally put a foot on a bowl but this one needs one. I am struggling for a shape for the foot. Wally Dickerman's post made me want something less ordinary so I thought someone, or maybe even Wally might have a suggestion. At our last club meeting we were raising money for a charity and someone brought in a this huge walnut rough out and I acquired it. The diameter is over 16". It was turned with a recess for an expanding chuck instead of a conventional tenon. Unfortunately there was less then 1/16" of thickness left at the bottom and the tail stock punched through it as soon as I attempted to mount it on a jam chuck. I hated to throw it out so I tried for a save. I jointed away the recess and glued a piece of dry 8/4 walnut that I hoped would match in color. I turned a tenon and shaped a pleasing shape. I've now turned away enough of the added piece so the bowl bottom will be all original wood and the foot will be from the added piece. Any thoughts?
faust209080209079

Harry Robinette
10-03-2011, 11:47 PM
I would probably ogee it like the bowl. Probably small to large.
just my $.02

Faust M. Ruggiero
10-04-2011, 7:55 AM
Your $.02 is valuable to me, Harry. Thanks for the thought.
faust

Bernie Weishapl
10-04-2011, 10:15 AM
Faust I have started about a year ago using a foot like Wally has shown in his post. I like the way it looks and normally I would turn the foot away because I just didn't the way they looked when I got done with them. I have also thought about a reverse ogee on the foot to kind of mimic the top of the bowl.

Wally Dickerman
10-04-2011, 12:03 PM
You have an ogee form, somewhat modified. I've found that a dovetail shaped foot works well with that form.

Faust M. Ruggiero
10-04-2011, 5:02 PM
Thanks Wally.