PDA

View Full Version : ElkHead Tools saw handle

Eric Brown
10-03-2011, 6:14 PM
Got my new handle for the Knew Concepts titanium saw from ElkHead Tools at the WIA show.
Now it looks and feels good.

They have different sizes and can also supply for the aluminum saw.
Eric

Jason Coen
10-03-2011, 6:47 PM
I ordered the short handle this weekend. Can't wait to get it.

Andrew Pitonyak
10-04-2011, 2:45 PM
Oh good, then mine will likely arrive shortly as well. I see that you have the titanium saw. How well did the brass ferrel fit? I was warned that the production for the titanium saw was not as tight as the aluminum so that the fit might be too snug (in which case I needed to widen the notch on the ferrel so that it would fit - because I would not be able to slim down the notch on the titanium).

Eric Brown
10-04-2011, 7:07 PM
I had gotten one of the earlier Knew Concepts saws and apparently this was thicker than ElkHead had been aware of at the time.
However, all it took was about ten swipes on each side of the groove with a safe edged file and it fits perfect.
One thing I did diffent from what ElkHead shows in their online instructions was I did not use a chisel to split the ferrel.
I simply drove the split pin out and then pryed off the handle. It was simple.
As I work with it more I might discover issues, but so far I'm very happy with the combination.

Eric

Andrew Pitonyak
10-05-2011, 12:43 AM
At the WIA show, they had a saw with one of the Elkwood handles. I was sold...... Great handle, great saw!

Gary Benson
10-05-2011, 9:36 AM
Andrew, you are at the front of the list. We have 5 or 6 medium sized handles already turned, and Dave was to start sanding last night. Eric was right, the Ti frame material seems to be a little more variable in its thickness, but about half seemed to fit the ferrule slot without modification. Eric's method of handle removal is encouraging, just drive the pin out right thru the thin stamped ferrule material.
Jason, you were a little further down the list, but we ordered more ferrules from the machinist on Monday. Shouldn't be more than a few weeks, we'll be turning handles in the mean time. We're shooting to have all the orders from WIA filled by early November.
Thanks guys,
Gary

Andrew Pitonyak
10-05-2011, 5:04 PM
Andrew, you are at the front of the list. We have 5 or 6 medium sized handles already turned, and Dave was to start sanding last night.
Oh, hello Gary, I enjoyed meeting you at WIA. No particular hurry, since my current project is past the saw phase :-)

I will drive the pin out. Just looking forward to a nice handle! In the meantime, I need to finish up some drawer fronts...