PDA

View Full Version : Deep rotarty engraving

Annette Plamondon
10-03-2011, 3:55 PM
My boss wants me to do a sample of engraving on an "engravable oval-shaped urn pendant." A local company wants to do business with us and I don't know any more information about this pendant, but apparently the engraving has to be pretty deep. I have always don't scratch engraving with a diamond tip cutter on my rotary engraver. Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions about the type of cutter I am suppose to use? I attached a picture of the pendant I have to try a sample on one, I just don't want to ruin it. Thanks a bunch!

Mike Null
10-03-2011, 5:11 PM
What is the material? Silver plate can't be engraved with a rotary without risking flaking off the plating.

If it's sterling silver or pewter then you can get pretty good depth with the diamond. If it's nickel plated brass then the rotary and oxidizing might work.

Rodne Gold
10-04-2011, 12:48 AM
You need to use a tubgsten carbide or high speed steel V cutter , you will also need a nose cone to allow the engraving all to have the same depth. I would also recommend a cutting fluid like Tapamatic , dromus or diatsol when doing this job. You need to know the metal that is being used to use the correct fluid as well as the correct speeds and feeds to use as well as the correct shape cutter to use. You will struggle with ferrous metals like steel or stainless steel if you want deep cuts.
Im not sure whether you use the motor with the diamond bit , if not , try using it for a "deeper" and wider "cut".
I would not really attempt to do a deep cut on that item as you might find hassles with bits breaking or chipping if everything is not 100% right apart from the plating flaking off issue. It is not a job I woulkd undertake unless you have a good few pieces you can practice on , like 5-10 pieces..