PDA

View Full Version : Aloha From Ohio---new Member Also

Dennis Taylor
02-27-2005, 8:31 AM
Hello to all, I have been following SawMill Creek forum for a few days, and have seen some interesting discussions and picture...I have been turning on a Jet mini for about a year, and just looking to buy up I suppose, got a 1442 lathe in October, and have had nothing but trouble, so in the market again..don't have means currently to post pics, but I sure will enjoy yours..Dennis Taylor

Dick Parr
02-27-2005, 9:26 AM
Welcome to the SMC Dennis! :)

Jeff Sudmeier
02-27-2005, 9:37 AM
Dennis,

Welcome to SMC! What are your problems with your new lathe? Maybe the guys here can help :)

Mark Singer
02-27-2005, 9:39 AM
Good Morning! and welcome Dennis....

Dennis Taylor
02-27-2005, 12:19 PM
My 1442 was purchased in Oct., the speed didn't change easily & the 1500 to 3000 rpm range you could stop by fingertip pressure, so Jet said to pull it apart and clean, which a friend of mine(machinist) helped me, pullled it apart and cleaned it fine, removed the pulley's, the speed change lever worked so nice and smooth and easy, but the upper ranges lacked any kind of torque..called Jet, said belt was cheap, sent new belt, torn apart, wrong belt, got correct belt, changed, still same problem, Jet said to take to repair, did, they changed belt, no change, took back to repair, they cleaned and changed belt, with no change...Jet was to send me new reeves pulley's, after a week and no pulley's, called, said no pulley's were in stock, and not sure when, so they would replace headstock, week & a half goes by, call Jet, there are no headstocks in the U.S, and don't expect any until Jul time frame with no promoise...just been ugly .....thinking of returning, got from Woodcraft, they will accept the return, and put money to something better...think the 1642, no reeves pulley's to fight with, hopefully a better lathe, but that was what I thought from the mini to the 1442....Dennis

Ken Fitzgerald
02-27-2005, 1:07 PM
Dennis.....Welcome to the 'Creek!

Pull up a stump and dangle your feet in the water! Wade if you like! Neat place to exchange info!

Again.....Welcome!

Karl Laustrup
02-27-2005, 1:18 PM
Welcome, Dennis. As has been said "Enjoy the Creek, the water's fine".:)

As far as that new lathe you got, I'm not sure I would have done all that you've done trying to make something right, that should have been right from the get-go. Man I would have had them send me a brand new one. I'm the one paying for it and I would it expect it to work right out of the box. I figure if I wanted do stuff like you've done, I'd get the parts and do build it myself.

That's my rant for the day. :eek: :o :D

Greg Tatum
02-27-2005, 5:39 PM
Welcome Dennis....you are on the right tract in thinking about returning the lathe....the next step is to do it...it sounds like a defective product and you shouldn't be the one to put time and effort to fix it. Just my .02

But again, welcome to SMC

Greg

Charles McKinley
02-27-2005, 7:43 PM
Welcome Dennis,

Where in Ohio are you? I'm just across the PA line on I-80. I also would return the lathe to Woodcraft. Their 1 year return policy and being able to actually hold the stuff are the two main reasons I shop there.

Ted Shrader
02-28-2005, 9:03 AM
Hi Dennis -

Welcome to the Creek. Glad to have you.

Sorry about the problems you are having with the Jet 1442. Sounds like you did all there was to do in the head stock short of a new one.

The 1642 w/ electronic speed control is a nice unit. A few more $$$, but a little bigger and heavier.

Welcome,
Ted

Jean Holland
03-01-2005, 5:54 PM
Sorry to hear about all the problems you had with your 1442. I got one a year ago last November. Mine worked wonderfully right out of the box. I couldn't be more pleased. My husband set everything up and he's a hard man to please when it comes to woodworking tools....but he was also happy with our lathe. I think you're on the right track in returning it. It must be a bad one. Like the others, I would not have done as much as you or had as much patience. As you said Woodcraft will take it back. I would love to have the 1642, but can't afford it. Don't let that bad machine sour you to all 1442's. I'm sure you got the one they made on Friday afternoon at closing time.

Welcome to the Creek!

Dennis Taylor
03-01-2005, 6:38 PM
Charles I live in Akron...do you attend a turning club there in PA?...there is one in Hartville, probably a short drive, have a few guys comming in from the Youngstown area...Dennis