PDA

View Full Version : SRG gloat

Alan Zenreich
10-03-2011, 2:10 PM
In my best Crocodile Dundee voice:

"That's not a spindle roughing gouge... THIS is a spindle roughing gouge".

Some of the stuff I acquired at the Ohio symposium. I put my eyeglasses in the photo to give an idea of the size of this formidable weapon.

Also shown is a John Jordan shear scraper.
Not shown is a 3/4" Thompson skew, a nice piece of figured Eucalyptus, and a DVD about creating spirals with a router.

At least I didn't buy another lathe! (Though a Stubby is clearly whispering to me...)

Jim Burr
10-03-2011, 2:17 PM
Boom!! why is it so clean?? Gratz!!!

Paul Heely
10-03-2011, 2:19 PM
Holy spindle roughing gouge batman. I like it. Love the handle too.

Alan Zenreich
10-03-2011, 2:22 PM
It's clean because it's on the hood of the rental car at the symposium. I'm out of town on business for the rest of this week, and won't get the new tools into my shop before the weekend. Thank goodness I had to check a bag into luggage. The TSA would frown on attempting to carry the SRG onto the planes <s>.

Alan Zenreich
10-03-2011, 2:28 PM
Here's another shot showing the 3/4" shank on the SRG

I think Doug Thompson said that the gouge is machined from a 4 pound steel billet.

I'm really looking forward to playing with the double ended shear scraper for convex curves.
Using the wings of a bowl gouge is fine, but this tool is really better suited for the task because of its blade shape and size.
I'll make more photos of it soon.

Harry Robinette
10-03-2011, 3:02 PM
Alan
I have the proof on you and that Stuby, so we all know it's only time!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

John Keeton
10-03-2011, 5:31 PM
Alan, that SRG is one BIG tool, but that Stubby is even bigger. I still hear the echo of it calling your name!:D

Bill Walsh
10-03-2011, 5:59 PM
Alan, your right thats a roughing gouge. I'll bet your going to love that combo with Doug's handle. I've got a 1-1/4" P&N RSG in a Kelton collect handle that handles really nice in part becaue of the weight. I just received a Thompson 5/8" fluteless gouge with Doug's 16" handle. Once I get back to some bowl work I want to post a review.