PDA

View Full Version : What's a good source for small pieces of burl?

Paul Heely
10-03-2011, 12:34 PM
I need to make up some ornaments for a couple of local stores and a show I have next month. Looking to do some Bob Rosand style icicle ornaments and I don't have anything I like for the globe part of the body. Does anyone have a good source for small pieces, 2-1/2" square x 2" or so, of burl? I'm not too picky about the species as long as it is light colored.

Thanks.

David E Keller
10-03-2011, 1:35 PM
Try Cory Norgart at UpNorthBurls.net... He's got ash burl in that size as well as some boxelder and maple. eBay is another good source. Mike Smith at centurytreeturnings will have maple burl, and Greg Dahl at Oregonburls has maple burl and madrone burl.

Chris Burgess
10-03-2011, 2:13 PM
+1 on Cory, He has some amazing pieces but not just Black Ash. Also you can check out West Penn Hardwoods.

Jim Burr
10-03-2011, 2:21 PM
Check with Mike Smith too. Always an infinite supply of BLM that I'm sure Mr Keeton would be happy to turn his back to :eek:;)

Russell Neyman
10-03-2011, 2:42 PM
The answer is obvious: A good source for several small pieces of burl is one large one. Kinda like the question, "how do you make a million dollars....?"

Couldn't help myself.

But seriously, those of us who make large bowls always have the bandsaw trim collected in a box marked "scraps" ("knob stock," in my case) and you can probably find a buddy who'll give them to you for free. Heck, how many do you need? I'll dig into my pile and mail some if you pay for the postage.

Paul Heely
10-03-2011, 8:03 PM
I'll drop Cory a note and see what he may have.

Russell, thanks for the offer. Sent you a PM.