PDA

View Full Version : Help with grinder

Todd Bin
10-03-2011, 11:45 AM
Ok. I'm relatively new to turning and sharpening on a grinder. Honestly the grinder worries me more than the lathe. I have the woodcraft slow speed grinder, the Norton 3X 80 grit wheel (blue one) and the D-way CBN 180 grit wheel. I purchased the One-Way wheel balancing kit and did that. I put these new items on my grinder and thought I had everything tightened down. Then yesterday I Turned my grinder on and before I could even put a tool to it it started making a strange sound. I turned it off and the nuts on the ends were loose. Not Good!

I did notice also that the "plate" that came with the one-way balancing system which is screwed onto the wheel was also loose. So two questions.

1. How do you get that One-Way plate tight?
2. How do I keep the nuts on the ends of the grinder tight. (The nut on the left side threads by turning it counter clockwise)

I know these are dumb questions but I would rather not put my life at risk trying to figure this out by trial and error.

Thanks,
Todd

Reed Gray
10-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Not dumb questions at all. For me, I tighten the nuts finger tight, then using a large wrench, just snug it up a bit. I hold the wheel with my fingers when tightening. Be careful with tightening up on the blue wheel. With the matrix style, you can over tighten them and crack the wheel, then it can fly apart. Just snug, not armstrong tight. If they are loose, you can tighten them up a bit fairly easily.

I have had CBN wheels for 6 years, and never have had a need for the Oneway balancing or wheel truing system, so really can't help you there. You probably could have gotten the 80 grit D Way wheel for what you put into the Oneway stuff.

robo hippy

Todd Bin
10-03-2011, 1:33 PM
Is there any reason why the nuts would/could come loose after I tighten them?

Thanks,
Todd