PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Springs for Under Knives on Old Delta Jointer

Mark R Webster
10-03-2011, 11:43 AM
I have a 70s vintage 8 inch Delta jointer and am replacing the knives. During the process I noticed I had lost two of the spings that hold the knives up for adjusting their height. Anyone know where one can find replacements for these compression springs. They are about 1/16 inch in diameter and under and inch long.
Thanks
Mark

David Nelson1
10-03-2011, 12:06 PM
If your not to picky about tension most Hardware stores have a selection. I replaced mine with a bit more tension on the springs, it just makes a bit harder to keep the knife in the slot while your setting the height.

Brett Robson
10-03-2011, 12:10 PM
On Jointers I've used in the past that had springs under the knives, I always tossed them. I found they make getting a even setting difficult.

If you take a couple 12" lengths of 2x4 which are flat on the bottom and glue three flat magnets onto it, it makes an easy, accurate and dirt-cheap jig to set the knives. Glue two magnets towards the rear and the third at the front ends. That way the two rear ones hold the jigs to the outfeed table and the forward one lifts and holds the knife even with the table while you lock them down.

If you decide to replace the springs and you know your model number, you may find replacements here
(http://www.ereplacementparts.com/delta-jointer-parts-c-3275_7655.html)

Zach Callum
10-03-2011, 12:14 PM
A spring from a pen might do the trick. That is what I have in my old delta planer, and they work just fine.

Bob Wingard
10-03-2011, 12:37 PM
ACE hardware

Steve Jenkins
10-03-2011, 12:58 PM
The 16" jointer that I used to have did not have springs or jack screws and it was no trouble to set the knives. I used a dial indicator on the outfeed table and just snugged the gibscrews then tapped the knives down with a small block of wood.
After I did it a few times it usually took me about 15 minutes to set the three knives.

Mark R Webster
10-03-2011, 1:24 PM
Great suggestions/info thanks guys! I tried the local Ace Hardware, they couldn't find one small enough. The glue is drying on the magnets as I write.
Thanks all.
Mark

george wilson
10-03-2011, 4:22 PM
Those magnetic knife holders they sell were worthless to me. The knife would always pull loose from the magnet just as I CAREFULLY tightened the gib screws. I could suggest you rob the coil springs out of Bic lighters. I hear they have very narrow springs in them.

I found springs for our 1950's Delta somehow. Then,I noticed that each gib slot had a 1/4" hole drilled near it on the side of the cutterhead. I drilled a 1/4" hole in the frame of the jointer about 1 1/2" from the holes in the side of the cutterhead WHEN the knives were at top dead center. I made a big "staple" from 1/4" rod,which I could plug into the holes and the frame as each knife came around. Then,with the springs holding the knives up,I put a block of hard wood over the knife I was installing,and tightened it into place. Worked very well.

I HOPE your jointer has these holes. After that,I eventually just bought the Dispoz-a Blade system. Initial cost is a bit,but you can install the knives in a few minutes. Just drop them in and tighten the gibs. Each knife has 2 edges,and the cost PER BLADE is less than the cost of re grinding them. AND,you don't soon have a worn down blade you have to toss,and buy expensive new knives for.

May I note: WHY can't you just(and why didn't I) just drill out those pesky little holes larger,so you could just use pen springs???? Most likely because Delta wanted to force you to buy their replacement springs.

Myk Rian
10-03-2011, 5:30 PM
ACE hardware
+1 Good selection

Bob Wingard
10-03-2011, 9:44 PM
I guess it depends on your particular ACE store manager ... our little store here takes great pride in offering all the little miscellaneous hardware in those little yellow boxes. They have about 15 of those boxes full of nothing but springs ... I feel very confident that our store would have those small springs, but not all stores carry the same stock.

Mark R Webster
10-04-2011, 1:41 PM
Again thanks for the input. The Ace I went to must not have as complete of a line of springs. George how do you like the Dispos-a-blade system and which style did you get?

george wilson
10-04-2011, 2:26 PM
I just love it! Not sure of the "what style" question. Grizzly sells the line of those systems. One afternoon,I dulled a set of blades planing wood for my 400' of shop shelving. Yellow pine. I wanted the cuts to stay good enough to look decent without sanding. Just put in another set of blades quickly.

What does a regular set of knives cost? About $100.00? Whatever it is,it is more than that to get started,but the initial cost quickly repays itself. And,the .040" left over blade material makes good bench knives,marking knives,etc..

Look at the spring in a Bic lighter yet? Under the flint.

Mark R Webster
10-04-2011, 4:01 PM
I am assuming you are using the Posi-set version. It looks like they now have one called a Self-set version using a tab registering system.
I'll keep my eye out for a bic.
Mark

David Kumm
10-04-2011, 4:20 PM
I believe the self set register off the cutterhead so your jointer has to allow the tables to adjust relative to that cutterhead. Most wedgebed types don't so the posi set are probably a safer bet. Parallelogram jointers can be adjusted more easily. You still need to check the knives as a little grit on the holder can affect the adjustment as well. dave

Mark R Webster
10-04-2011, 6:43 PM
Thanks David for the info

george wilson
10-04-2011, 7:30 PM
I think it is the posi set.