PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
10-03-2011, 9:52 AM
3 Oct 2011

Good Morning Everyone,
I'm totally loving these cooler temps and have fallen in love with fall once more. the cooler temps have brought to me a new desire to get back in the shop and make some things that I've been needing to make for some time now. However, I do have a veneer repair job that the family doc wants me to do for him so....I'll be asking around for tips on what all I need to do in order to make the repair.

I still have a few more trips to Alabama to help my mom with more things that need to be done in order to bring further closure to the passing of my dad. Mom and dad were married for 53 years. Dad was 19 when they married and my mom was 15. Needless to say....my mom is totally lost without my dad and I'm doing all I can to fill as much of that gap as possible.

Thanks again for all your thoughts, prayers, and emails. Greatly appreciated.

Well, that's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

David Hostetler
10-03-2011, 10:11 AM
Not a lot of shop time this weekend. LOML had different plans for me... I did get to finish up the inlay I am working on for the top of a doggie urn I am working on. It's fully sanded down to 280 grit, cleaned up, and wiped down with BLO, and it looks great. Can't wait to get it all assembled.

Ryan Hellmer
10-03-2011, 11:01 AM
I got the changing table for second daughter done (she's 12 weeks old). I also got started on her crib. I had my dad glue up the legs and last night I got everything roughed out and planed to final thickness. Tonight I'm hoping to get all of the frame parts cut to final size and either get started on trim or joinery. Everything on the crib is M/T joints so I have about 150 joints to cut, luckily I use my Leigh FMT so it's not as bad as it sounds. A buddy is making the same crib for his daughter (now 7 mos) and he came over to use my drum sander to surface some curly maple. His planer almost ruined a very nice board.

We also took the family to the NICU reunion this weekend. Daughter #2 was in for 13 days after she was born. Now we're happy to be home, but it was nice to get to show her off a little.

Ryan

Matt Meiser
10-03-2011, 11:25 AM
Saturday morning I picked up some of the materials for a charity furniture build my club is doing for a local daycare, then LOML and I went to lunch and to Cabelas to look for a couple sweatshirts. She spent the afternoon cleaning the camper while I mowed the lawn (hopefully for the last time of the season) and then I winterized the plumbing on the camper. Sunday's adventures are covered in another thread but involved me bringing home a Grizzly G0513X 17" band saw and a 1953 Farmall Cub tractor. The rest of the day was spent watching the last part of the football game my daughter cheered at, grocery shopping, and dinner at my parents'.

Jim Becker
10-03-2011, 9:51 PM
No shop time this weekend, but I did get all the quarter round in the study and did all the touch-up paint. I just have a few minor additional paint things to deal with and then we can figure out what furniture we're going to put in there. I'm glad for this project to be done, done, done...

Jim O'Dell
10-03-2011, 10:52 PM
Well, the wedding for some of out oldest friends youngest child and only girl out of 5, was Sat. at 1:00. Who said Southern Baptists don't dance!!!!:D Beautiful sanctuary where the wedding was held, officiated by the Groom's grandfather. The the father of the bride gave a gut wrenching and beautiful speech about his daughter's servant mindedness, if that is a word. He was choked up, and so was everyone. LOML emailed them to make sure someone got that on tape and gave Tamara a copy to keep. Glenna's words were "What daughter wouldn't want to hear her father say that about her???" My father in law would never have.
So, with the wedding in the middle of the day, it kind of blew what could be accomplished otherwise. Watched the Ranger/Ray game that evening, but basically played on the computer. Sunday I took apart 2 old drawers that we inherited when we purchased the house, and made a drawer for my wall of cabinets to house the collection of screws Dad gave me. He had a metal segmented tray full of stuff, and multiple jars. They all have their own place to stay now, and 3 items are off the horizontal surfaces of the shop equipment!
Oh I also spent umpteen hours trying to nail down which laptop to purchase. I had been led to believe HP would send or sell cheaply, a set of recovery discs to go from Win 7 Pro 32 bit to the 64 bit version. Emailed them and the reply was to purchase a different model that had it. But I can get a Lenovo with the same processor, HD and 64 bit for about $20.00 cheaper!! Time will tell. Jim.

richard poitras
10-03-2011, 11:04 PM
Put the shop back together from the two previous weekends of building lumber storage racks consisting of one rack that will hold about 1000 board feet of demotional lumber , one rack for sheet goods, one mobile rack for medium cut offs and one mobile rack for shorts. Also getting my new to me used cyclone dust collector up right and in place. O and a little time with the family at Bronners Christmas Store in Frankenmuth, MI. Other than that not much…..