PDA

View Full Version : Whole House Surge Protectors

Hilel Salomon
10-03-2011, 8:15 AM
I have seen whole house (complete House) surge protectors which plug into the panel box like an ordinary breaker. Will these go into any panel? In VA and here, I have square D panel boxes and have always thought that they would only accommodate square D breakers. Square D has such a surge protector, but it seems to be much skimpier (fewer joules, etc.) than others like the Cutler-Hammer.

Thanks,

Hilel

Rollie Meyers
10-03-2011, 8:58 AM
[QUOTE=Hilel Salomon;1784338]I have seen whole house (complete House) surge protectors which plug into the panel box like an ordinary breaker. Will these go into any panel? In VA and here, I have square D panel boxes and have always thought that they would only accommodate square D breakers. Square D has such a surge protector, but it seems to be much skimpier (fewer joules, etc.) than others like the Cutler-Hammer.

Thanks,

The only way one make can be used in another make is if it has been listed or classified by UL or other NRTL, there are other units that wire into the panel,
keep the wire as short as possible & follow all instructions (and don't double lug a breaker to install it) & you will be fine.

Ole Anderson
10-03-2011, 9:09 AM
5 or 6 years ago I picked up one from HD that just wired into the panel and sits at the bottom of the box. I drilled a couple of holes in the panel cover so I could see the two little lights to make sure it was still functional.

Thomas Bank
10-03-2011, 11:57 AM
As Ole mentions, there are two types. The ones like you've mentioned that plug directly in like any other breaker. Then the ones like Ole mentions that are "divorced" and either sit inside the panel box or in a box of their own beside the panel box.

For example, SquareD offers both types.

The plug-in type:
http://surgelogic.com/home/solutions/residential/surgebreaker%C2%AE-panelboard-spd.html

And the "divorced" type (the first three shown here):
http://surgelogic.com/home/solutions/residential/

For the plug-in type, it must be rated for your panel. In the SquareD plug-in type listed above, it states "UL and cUL Listed for both QO and Homeline formats."

For the "divorced" type you may use any manufacturer's product with any panel because it is hardwired. Note that for the SquareD "divorced" units it only states "UL and cUL Listed. Listed to UL 1449 Third Edition as a Type 1 Surge Protective Device" without stating what format.

Charles Lent
10-05-2011, 7:42 PM
Something else to consider,
If you buy the type that plugs into a breaker position you need to buy one that is the same brand as your panel and is rated for use with your panel. The panel will not meet code
if you use a different brand or one that is not rated for use with the panel. You could run into later inspection problems or equipment failure if something else is used.

Charley

Ron Jones near Indy
10-05-2011, 7:51 PM
Mine is installed at the meter base. Since the shop and the house both are connected to the meter base (parallel lugs) both are protected. It's been this way for a few years with no issues.

Brian Kent
10-05-2011, 8:04 PM
I have no idea what I am talking about, but isn't that what every circuit breaker is - a whole house surge protector? What is different?

David Kumm
10-05-2011, 8:26 PM
My whole house surge protector was still working fine after a lightning strike took out every computer chip and electronic appliance in the house. When i asked the insurance adjuster what the difference between a $20 protector and a $200 one was he said $180 as nothing stops lightning. Not trying to stop anyone from buying, just what happened to me. Dave

david a graham
10-05-2011, 10:34 PM
I have a Square D homeline surge protector and after a close lightning strike the only device that had to be replaced was my DSL modem and router. The phone line was not protected....

It hit a Blue Ash and blew chunks of trunk out the size of my forearm the tree is ~75 feet from my house.

So I am convinced the surge protector is a great value.

Alan Lightstone
10-05-2011, 10:36 PM
$54,000 of lightning damage to electronics later, and two subsequent strikes (first one to mention that lightning never strikes twice gets it) and my whole house surge suppressor is just fine. Thanks for asking.

Ah, to live in the lightning capital of the world, in the specific area most likely to be hit. Realtor never mentioned that. Hmmm.....

Shawn Russell
10-06-2011, 6:12 AM
so... are the whole house surge suppressors all marketing hype like the amish low power whole house heaters?

Alan Lightstone
10-06-2011, 11:52 PM
No, just that there are many ways for lightning to enter a home besides the AC mains. Cable TV, satellite dishes, telephone, direct entry. All can cause devastation without using the AC mains for entry.

Lee Schierer
10-07-2011, 8:08 AM
No, just that there are many ways for lightning to enter a home besides the AC mains. Cable TV, satellite dishes, telephone, direct entry. All can cause devastation without using the AC mains for entry.

Yes there are. Lightning hit our flag pole, jumped to the underground dog fence and followed the dog fence into the house. It fried the dog fence surge protector, the DSL modem, the router, our off air Directtv receiver, our septic alarm and a GFIC outlet. Oh yeah, it also burnt the pulley off the top of the flag pole and welded the sections together.

Thomas Bank
10-07-2011, 1:16 PM
Something else to consider

Yep. I just said that...

For the plug-in type, it must be rated for your panel. In the SquareD plug-in type listed above, it states "UL and cUL Listed for both QO and Homeline formats."

I have no idea what I am talking about, but isn't that what every circuit breaker is - a whole house surge protector? What is different?

A standard breaker trips when the current draw is more than the breaker is rated for. It does not prevent excess inrush current from reaching your end device.

Ralph Butts
10-07-2011, 1:48 PM
Just an FYI...surge suppression and lightening arresting gear are not the same thing.

Rick Constantine
10-18-2011, 5:43 PM
There are indeed two types as noted. My neighbor, who is a Portland electrician (http://www.angieslist.com/companylist/portland/electrical.htm), noted that the "divorced" type is often the most flexible type to use as doing so allows you to use any relevant product from any manufacturer. Additionally, as noted by Mr. Lent, using a "plug in" type which is not the same brand as the panel will not satisfy most code requirements. So, as I noted, the "divorced" type generally allows the most flexibility provided you have the room next to your panel box, etc.